Acclimating to 13ers?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LaineyNC
Trip Reports (0)

Acclimating to 13ers?

Post by LaineyNC »

My fiancé and I were looking at hiking a 13er this weekend, specifically Sniktau, but are open to something else. I am just wondering if we'll have altitude issues as we haven't been above 10k this season. We did Bierstadt two years ago, but had prepped for it. We live in the Tech Center, are active and have done some hikes already this season, but like I said, nothing above 10k feet. Do we need to do some hikes between 10-13k or will we be alright?

If not, I'll gladly check out the forums for other "training hikes." Thanks!
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Acclimating to 13ers?

Post by LarryM »

People vary, but living at 5,000 feet and hiking at 13,000 feet IMO generally does not require acclimatization. You may or may not have issues, but that's more a matter of your personal reaction to altitude rather than an acclimatization issue per se. As always, take all relevant precautions (hydrate, etc.) & be aware of the relevant symptoms & be prepared to cut your climb short if they appear.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

You should be okay. You'll move more slowly going up hill at that elevation than if you were just going up a front range foothills hike, but acclimating shouldn't be necessary. The more time you spend at elevation the better, and it will make hiking higher up easier. Going from the front range cities to any hike in the lower 48 means acclimating is a plus, not a must.

As Larry says, hydrate! Sunblock is also a great idea.
Last edited by Ptglhs on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

LarryM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 pm People vary, but living at 5,000 feet and hiking at 13,000 feet IMO generally does not require acclimatization.
i'll just say from experience that living at 5,000 feet doesn't eliminate acclimatization at 13,000 feet. your other comments are correct to advise for caution!! :)
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm
LarryM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 pm People vary, but living at 5,000 feet and hiking at 13,000 feet IMO generally does not require acclimatization.
i'll just say from experience that living at 5,000 feet doesn't eliminate acclimatization at 13,000 feet. your other comments are correct to advise for caution!! :)
Well as I said people vary. :) I'm personally lucky in that regard (says the guy who hasn't been over 10,000 feet in several weeks, but may run Bierstadt Thursday, and will be running the Leadville Trail marathon, topping out over 13,000 feet, in 10 days).

But probably the most accurate statement of general applicability was from Ptglhs: "Going from the front range cities to any hike in the lower 48 means acclimating is a plus, not a must."
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Sniktau is a good test piece for finding out what issues you may have!
(And it's short enough, so you can take your time and check out what altitude does to you).
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

LaineyNC wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm My fiancé and I were looking at hiking a 13er this weekend, specifically Sniktau, but are open to something else. I am just wondering if we'll have altitude issues as we haven't been above 10k this season. We did Bierstadt two years ago, but had prepped for it. We live in the Tech Center, are active and have done some hikes already this season, but like I said, nothing above 10k feet. Do we need to do some hikes between 10-13k or will we be alright?

If not, I'll gladly check out the forums for other "training hikes." Thanks!
You'll probably be fine, and if not, Sniktau is perfect because you can turn around and be back at your car pretty quickly.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche