Advice for September Trip

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Advice for September Trip

Post by Hiker Mike »

maniac365 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:55 am Thanks for all the helpful advice on where to spend my two weeks hiking in Colorado in September. Based on that, I plan to spend the first week in Salida or Buena Vista and the second in Ouray or Silverton. I would appreciate any advice on choosing between Salida versus Buena Vista and Ouray versus Silverton in terms of proximity to trails and a place to spend time in when I'm not hiking. Thanks.
Buena Vista is closer to the mountains. That is where I have stayed. Better hiking up there for sure. Maybe the town itself isn't as cool as Salida but it is a good place to stay.

You won't regret it.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Advice for September Trip

Post by nmjameswilson »

I am doing a number of peaks here over the next week starting Friday and thought about bases while planning which peaks to climb.
The best location I feel is Buena Vista with access from the same hotel/camp to at least 10 peaks. Fairplay (where I will be staying) has access to six easy peaks too.
I am also staying in Idaho Springs mainly as I am meeting someone there but also to climb Evans and Bierstadt from there.

Good luck man!

From Buena Vista/Leadville:
Elbert
Massive
Befort
Oxford
Missouri
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Shavano
Tabeguache