Gray’s vs. Quandary vs. Mt. Elbert?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Gray’s vs. Quandary vs. Mt. Elbert?

Post by Ptglhs »

From CO Springs, where I used to live, it's 45 shorter to 4 mile than to Iowa. From most areas of SW Denver it's 30min shorter. I've noticed Google maps tends to be good at estimates on interstates, not so much on highways. Personal anecdote though, your experience may differ!

I've hit both THs: 4 mile for Sherman, Sheridan, and Horseshoe; Iowa for Dyer. I think 4 mile is closer and a bit easier than Iowa. No idea about coming from NorCO though. Using the back side on a summer weekend could thin out the crowds and congestion, which is always a plus.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

All of the advice here is good. I would not recommend Elbert as your first 14er unless you are pretty lean and fit; it is over 4000 feet elevation gain as compared to 3000 (or a little less) for Sherman, Torreys, Quandary, or Bierstadt. Its a fun mountain, but do a different one first.

Having a little bit of company on the mountain for your first 14er is not necessarily a bad thing. If you get into trouble then you aren't out there alone.
My main emphasis is "get an alpine start". That means on trail at 5am at the very latest. If you are going to be moving slowly, even earlier might be a good idea. You don't want to be above treeline during a thunderstorm, and there will likely be a thunderstorm in the early afternoon if you are going in July or August.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

I think Class 1, easy trailhead access, and not packed with people don't go together. So given that you probably have to be on a busy peak, Bierstadt is not a bad choice. You can see the peak the entire way, nice trail. I saw a recommended start of 5 am, that's pretty extreme, especially on the shorter hikes. Gets kind of brisk up there in the morning in September, so later is fine. Also the weather is more settled, mostly, in September than the summer, although still days with thunderstorms, so an early start is best, just not that early.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Bierstadt was my first fourteener as well as my dad’s, and Dad was 52 at the time. The Class 2 portion is short and easy to follow, and there was only one move that really required me to use my hands as well as my feet.

This is not likely to be a popular recommendation, but I loved San Luis Peak. It’s Class 1, but it is pretty far from Denver and does have a RT length of 13.5 miles. I personally think the length is actually an advantage, though, because it means that the elevation gain is more spread out and therefore more forgiving! The distance from Denver also means fewer crowds no matter when you go.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Another vote for Bierstadt. Since the CFI has done so much work on the trail, it really is among the best of the easy to access 14er routes. There are plenty of great beginner 14er options but, for my money, Bierstadt offers the highest chance of success for someone around the front range who is looking to get their first one.
Where ever you are... There you are.
SusieMid
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SusieMid »

Gee, what a nice community on this forum! Thanks, everyone, for all the good ideas and information. We want to maximize our chances of reaching the peak, and being safe, so recommendations for very early start, having some people on the trail “just in case”, etc. are helpful. And thanks for all the thoughts on specific peaks/trails. We appreciate your help, and will keep watching to see if others chime in.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote:Bierstadt was my first fourteener as well as my dad’s, and Dad was 52 at the time.
i like how you put "and Dad was 52 at the time"..... because, you know, 52 is...well... like, kinda ancient and aged for this mountain climbing thing. lol
:)
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

shelly+ wrote:i like how you put "and Dad was 52 at the time"..... because, you know, 52 is...well... like, kinda ancient and aged for this mountain climbing thing. lol
WHAT??????? :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (38)

shelly+ wrote:
HikesInGeologicTime wrote:Bierstadt was my first fourteener as well as my dad’s, and Dad was 52 at the time.
i like how you put "and Dad was 52 at the time"..... because, you know, 52 is...well... like, kinda ancient and aged for this mountain climbing thing. lol

OP said that she and her husband are in their late fifties. 52 isn’t late fifties, but it’s in the ballpark, if that helps to assuage her concrens about being a first-timer.
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote:
OP said that she and her husband are in their late fifties. 52 isn’t late fifties, but it’s in the ballpark, if that helps to assuage her concrens about being a first-timer.
yes... and as an aged and ancient myself, i couldn't resist teasing you. :) apologies it was unclear. damn internets.
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (38)

shelly+ wrote:
HikesInGeologicTime wrote:
yes... and as an aged and ancient myself, i couldn't resist teasing you. :) apologies it was unclear. damn internets.
Haha, no worries - I am amazingly slow to pick up on tone sometimes! :p

For what it’s worth, I tend to love hiking with the “aged and ancient” crowd...y’all are more likely to go at my pace than the young whippersnappers are!
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

shelly+ wrote:i like how you put "and Dad was 52 at the time"..... because, you know, 52 is...well... like, kinda ancient and aged for this mountain climbing thing.
This should put the issue to bed...

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase