4 Peaks in 3 days

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 4 Peaks in 3 days

Post by jrbren_vt »

What is your acclimatization plan ? When do you arrive at altitude (what date) ?
Best Regards
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

glenmiz wrote:All good advice from the others. If there's one thing I can add it's to slow down. It's surprising how much faster I go, overall, if I slow my moving pace down and keep going rather than stop every 100 steps. I know you aren't going for speed records but finding a sustainable pace and reducing your level of exertion will reduce/prevent the possible effects of altitude sickness as well.

Totally agree... Find the right pace. If you have to stop to breath, your pace is too fast. You may not notice this happening until you get onto the steeper stuff or higher elevations.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

rob runkle wrote:
glenmiz wrote:All good advice from the others. If there's one thing I can add it's to slow down. It's surprising how much faster I go, overall, if I slow my moving pace down and keep going rather than stop every 100 steps. I know you aren't going for speed records but finding a sustainable pace and reducing your level of exertion will reduce/prevent the possible effects of altitude sickness as well.

Totally agree... Find the right pace. If you have to stop to breath, your pace is too fast. You may not notice this happening until you get onto the steeper stuff or higher elevations.
+1. I personally prefer to hike almost non-stop at a manageable pace. Others prefer a break every half-hour or hour, but if you are stopping more often than that you are probably going too fast. When you are hiking at sea level on flat ground, you can probably go 3 mph or so fairly easily, but not so when you are going up a mountain at altitude. Don't worry about others who might go by you.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
ssusarla
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ssusarla »

Txhiker42 wrote:Fellow San Antonian here. Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned for a great cause. A couple of things I do to help with acclimatization (in addition to being well hydrated) are:

-I start taking 120mg of ginkgo biloba 2x a day two weeks before I head to altitude
-Starting the day before I leave and continuing through my trip, I take AltitudeRx, a supplement that can be ordered from Amazon

Both those things could just have a placebo effect, but before I started that regimen, I’d get a headache above 9000’ that would stay until I got back on the flight home.

Where are you training locally?
Hola Fellow San Antonian!! Good suggestions on AltitudeRX i will check into it. Locally training at Fredrich park, govt canyon.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

You should be fine with your pace.........
Attachments
new-york-city.jpg
new-york-city.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Txhiker42 »

ssusarla wrote:
Txhiker42 wrote:Fellow San Antonian here. Sounds like you have an awesome trip planned for a great cause. A couple of things I do to help with acclimatization (in addition to being well hydrated) are:

-I start taking 120mg of ginkgo biloba 2x a day two weeks before I head to altitude
-Starting the day before I leave and continuing through my trip, I take AltitudeRx, a supplement that can be ordered from Amazon

Both those things could just have a placebo effect, but before I started that regimen, I’d get a headache above 9000’ that would stay until I got back on the flight home.

Where are you training locally?
Hola Fellow San Antonian!! Good suggestions on AltitudeRX i will check into it. Locally training at Fredrich park, govt canyon.
Friedrich is definitely the best local spot for training. I also like Hill Country State Natural Area, but that’s a longer drive. There’s a hill in a neighborhood off of 281/Borgfeld that if I hike up and down 15 times, I can get 2000’ of elevation gain. I’ve actually seen other folks training for CO mountains there doing the same thing. Good luck, and maybe I’ll see you out at Friedrich sometime!

-Karen
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
Loves Thin Air
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Loves Thin Air »

Use beet root extract. starting today. (As in, go to your local health food store right now and get some.) You need to start about 2 weeks in advance of your high elevation activity. You don't have 2 weeks.

Beet root extract helps your body produce red blood cells. More red blood cells equals more oxygen to your muscles. That means muscles don't get tired as quickly.

Also, lot's of water. Sleep. High carb food on the trail. Reload after the hikes with high proteins.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Loves Thin Air wrote:Use beet root extract. starting today. (As in, go to your local health food store right now and get some.) You need to start about 2 weeks in advance of your high elevation activity. You don't have 2 weeks.

Beet root extract helps your body produce red blood cells. More red blood cells equals more oxygen to your muscles. That means muscles don't get tired as quickly.

Also, lot's of water. Sleep. High carb food on the trail. Reload after the hikes with high proteins.
Isn't iron the main nutrient you want to aid in red blood cell production? Beef has about 3 times as much of that as beets I think.

The nitrites in beets though have a tendency to convert to nitric oxide and dilate blood vessels, lower blood pressure, and basically act as a legal form of doping... kinda.

EATMORBEETS
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Tart cherries, spicy foods, and magnesium are also good ingestible performance enhancers. Tart cherries: anti-inflammatory, boost natural melatonin cycles for more efficient rest. Turmeric: anti-inflammatory. Cayenne: boosts circulation (though you want to be careful as it's also a natural anti-coagulant, that's a better one for those of us that are high pretty often). Magnesium helps combat fatigue, muscle soreness, and cramping.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Bccrhp
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Bccrhp »

Grays/Torreys & Harvard were our first 14ers a few weeks ago. I'm guessing you're doing Grays/Torreys first coming from Denver, which makes sense; Harvard was definitely the hardest (and had a few unmarked forks, so be sure to read and print/screenshot the trail reports from this site first), but all three were spectacular. Make sure you have a high-clearance vehicle for Torreys/Grays or you'll have to hike to the trailhead or catch a ride. We did bagels + peanut butter the morning of the hikes, which worked well for us.

If you have the chance, I'd definitely do an acclimation hike the day you fly in & before Grays/Torreys the next day. Maybe 5-6 miles at ~10,000 feet if you can find it.

Good luck -- should be a great adventure!