When did you first start climbing Mountains?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

When did you first start climbing mountains?

Before 1960s
2%
1960s
8%
1970s
14%
1980s
11%
1990s
15%
2000s
18%
2010s
32%

Total votes: 137
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: When did you first start climbing Mountains?

Post by nyker »

I grew up at about 50ft above sea level, the highest point within a hundred miles driving was about +400ft above sea level. Huge. There was an American Flag on that hill to mark it. First time I saw a mountain of sorts was 1993, first time I climbed a mountain was Autumn 1993, but I didn't think of it as a mountain much less mountaineering, I didn't even know that term until years later. It was just hiking in the woods and I was in the woods all the time and hiked many "hills" the names I don't even remember, I probably never knew their names, I just walked in the woods, there was a hill I walked up, some of these hills were characterized as mountains I suppose. When living upstate New York later, I bought my first pair of "real boots" looking back at some old photos, they were actually an early pair of Asolos that I bought at EMS. These looked very different and much cheaper than modern "hi tech" Asolos but I thought that and my school book bag was all I needed to be "in the mountains". I didn't fly on a plane to anywhere meaningful until 2001 when I went to Arizona and took that Saturday off after work and for the first time saw a snow capped peak, I'd recognize years later to be Mount Humphreys, which I've yet to climb. My first real ascent to a higher altitude mountain (above a few hundred feet) was Half Dome in 2003. That started it. I loved it and clinging on those cables for dear life scared the crap out of me :shock: , but loved it anyway and to this day despite the crowds now (and permit required now! :? ), ranks as one of my all time favorite hikes. On that hike, I was dreadfully unprepared for hiking at altitude and not fit for "endurance" and was the first time I was above treeline looking down at the trees. Awesome.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

First entry on my peaks list is Pinnacle Mountain near Little Rock, Arkansas, 1989! \:D/

(I'm not from AR, I'm from SoCal...I was in my 20's before I was even half-seriously doing outdoors things.)

In 1992, I came out with the Arkansas Pikes Peak Marathon Society* to do the Pikes Peak Ascent race. And got hooked on real mountains! :lol:

* Yes there really is such an organization! But nowadays it is a shadow of its former self...
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

July 21, 1994 on Sneffels. The entire day was a comedy of errors and luck shined brightly on my group. Didn't even leave Telluride until 10 am, drove over Imogene in a rental Ford Explorer having never been off road before, upon parking at the trailhead a shock blew loudly, ascended the snow wondering if we should have those spiky mining pick and pokey foot thingys, on the summit at 5 pm with barely a cloud in the sky. Still remember sunset in the Ouray Hot Springs and Mexican food after. What a day.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood