Best Routes for Winter Beginners

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carlhuntsman
14ers: 14 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best Routes for Winter Beginners

Post by Carlhuntsman »

When you do your research take into account that your pace will be slower and the trekking a little harder. An easy ten mile hike in summer could be a grueling affair in snow.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Carlhuntsman wrote:When you do your research take into account that your pace will be slower and the trekking a little harder. An easy ten mile hike in summer could be a grueling affair in snow.
For Quandary Peak, I found a winter hike easier since I did not have to navigate through a scree which I did during a summer. There is a well-established snow trench made by many hikers all the way from TH to the summit since Quandary Peak is the most popular mountain for a winter ascent. For most 14ers, I agree with you because not many people would do anything during a winter season which leaves a hiker with a difficult task to break through a deep snowfield.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I'd focus on watching the weather, there are some really nice days up on the high peaks in the winter, and if you follow the TRs/conditions on this website you can see which peaks have been climbed recently and will benefit greatly from some high pressure and a bootpack to follow. If you do this and stick peaks mentioned here, you can have really enjoyable days out in the winter. If you're looking for the sufferfest and solitude, do the opposite.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Carlhuntsman wrote:When you do your research take into account that your pace will be slower and the trekking a little harder. An easy ten mile hike in summer could be a grueling affair in snow.
+1
I should be on a mountain
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

RyGuy wrote: First peaks: Start very easy. Like anything, you want to build up to doing some of the peaks in winter. Quandary via the East Ridge, Bierstadt via East Ridge, Bross and Lincoln via Moose Creek, Sherman via the South Slopes are good, fairly safe places to start.
I know this is a typo, but just in case people reading this list doesn't realize: he meant Bierstadt West Slope. Bierstadt East Ridge in winter would be... a little more challenging.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

polar wrote:
RyGuy wrote: First peaks: Start very easy. Like anything, you want to build up to doing some of the peaks in winter. Quandary via the East Ridge, Bierstadt via East Ridge, Bross and Lincoln via Moose Creek, Sherman via the South Slopes are good, fairly safe places to start.
I know this is a typo, but just in case people reading this list doesn't realize: he meant Bierstadt West Slope. Bierstadt East Ridge in winter would be... a little more challenging.
Haha. Oops! Let me go correct it! Thanks, Polar.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

I would like to offer a differing opinion than ryguy on the ice axe being unnecesary. I believe that you should start training with the ice axe ur first opportunity. Not waiting till you should need it. Practice using it on a gentle slope with no exposure on the bottom. Other than that everything that ryguy said, i um concur.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

+1 Quandary; that was my first winter 14er. It's crazy windy, but the route finding is easy and its short. You are unlikely to have your kit and water situation right for the first couple winter/"purple snowflake" outings, so keeping the distance short is a stellar idea.

I'd also advice doing a summit that you have climbed before, makes route finding a little easier. You don't want to spend a night out.
believe that you should start training with the ice axe ur first opportunity. Not waiting till you should need it. Practice using it on a gentle slope with no exposure on the bottom. Other than that everything that ryguy said, i um concur.
winter 14er hiking probably isn't the time to be practicing your self arrest technique.

Re Ice Axe: I always bring one between 10/1 and Mid-July-ish; but it would be really unlikely you'd ever use it on a class 1 or easy class 2.

In case someone has forgotten to mention it: Winter is Calendar not conditions. Out side calendar "we" jokingly call that a "purple snowflake" or at least some of us do... 8-[
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

jmanner wrote:
In case someone has forgotten to mention it: Winter is Calendar not conditions. Out side calendar "we" jokingly call that a "purple snowflake" or at least some of us do... 8-[
Reasons I often say "snow season" and "dry season" when I'm not talking specifically about snowflakes in calendar winter. LOL having some flashbacks to your Ellingwood purpleflake there, manner?

I'm a pro ice axe person. Visiting St. Mary's or some other easy slope each year to practice and refresh those reflexes is really comforting. One of those things that you don't need...until you do, and when you do, it's crucial.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

RyGuy wrote: An Ice Axe isn't essential right away, but getting one and learning how to use it and practicing will be critical if you plan to do more than just very basic and easy stuff. (Mine has already saved my life once)
Just to clarify this statement since several people apparently misunderstood what I was trying to convey:

An ice axe is a very important piece of equipment, hence my mentioning it being a lifesaving tool. However it's critical to know how to use it, before actually trying to use it. You're way more likely to injure yourself trying to play with it if you don't know how to use it, than actually being able to protect yourself with it. (Same could easily be said for Crampons)

If you are JUST getting into hiking in snow, and are on beginner routes mentioned, it's not essential, assuming you are staying on the route. That said, if someone wants to really get into winter hiking, spending the time learning how to use it and practicing on a low risk area like Saint Mary's is absolutely critical.
Hopefully that helps clarify a bit.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

RyGuy wrote: First peaks: Start very easy. Like anything, you want to build up to doing some of the peaks in winter. Quandary via the East Ridge, Bierstadt via West Slopes, Bross and Lincoln via Moose Creek, Sherman via the South Slopes are good, fairly safe places to start. They all have fairly safe and gentle terrain and hopefully you've already done them, so they are familiar to you. Also take a look at this article from our own SurfAndTurf for some good pointers:

Hopefully this helps give you a good start.

-Ryan
Don't bother to try Bross and Lincoln via Moose Creek at all due to parking issues. I understand that some property owners would do anything to tow a hiker's vehicle away if it is parked around Moose Creek TH.