Tips for Physical Training

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Tips for Physical Training

Post by wineguy »

Eli Boardman wrote: 4. Go more continuously: sounds stupid, but it works; I often hike 2-3 hours with a 5 minute break, rinse and repeat.
Interesting. On guided trips with both RMI and Alpine Ascents, they always took breaks about every hour. I've gotten similar recommendations elsewhere so have adopted the same strategy. But I can't claim to have done a controlled experiment. Other opinions?
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Otzi
14ers: 58 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Otzi »

Run. If you have more time still, and your body can handle it without breaking down, then run even more.
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

wineguy wrote:Interesting. On guided trips with both RMI and Alpine Ascents, they always took breaks about every hour. I've gotten similar recommendations elsewhere so have adopted the same strategy. But I can't claim to have done a controlled experiment. Other opinions?
I think the difference is a controlled (longer) break vs. the walk 100 feet and stop for 30 seconds type. The latter, I think just leads to more breaks and a slower steady pace would probably improve overall time. The former (longer) breaks I think are fine and use myself. I usually get those one way or another to layer up/down or to eat but try not to have them any more frequently than the 1 hr or so mark. On most hikes that is 1-3 breaks from trailhead to summit.

I also somewhat suspect that guides stop folks at 1 hr. because that's what most of us are used to on the treadmill or in the gym. I think that is a mental barrier that is best pushed through by hiking longer. An offshoot of what highpilgrim said maybe?
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

derekesq wrote:May have to up the biking next summer.
This reminds me- my friends who bike regularly absolutely SMOKE me in the speed department for 14ers. Been meaning to take up the hobby myself, but man is it easy to do too many things in this state :)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

and as far as I know they haven't come up with a 4-pedaled bike for my furry hiking companion so :cry:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I peakbag and I did the bike races up Mt. Evans and Pikes Pk. this year. You need to train to race (including your typical 10K and marathon races and the such), but hiking up 14ers (or peakbagging) is not much more than walking at a casual pace where you really don't care how long it takes (absent approaching storms weather and the poster's case of wanting to be a little faster for the sake of being faster). Given the nature of climbing 14ers, anything that gets you in better shape, whether it be running or biking or whatever, ought to be more than sufficient to help you walk uphill faster. I can see specialized training being useful for high altitude peaks (i.e., peaks over 20,000'), but for 14ers, it's probably more important for you to find a workout routine that you like so that you stick with it.

And as LURE said, hiking is the best (or at least very good) training for hiking. The more time you spend at altitude, the more acclimated you become to the altitude.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

stephakett wrote:and as far as I know they haven't come up with a 4-pedaled bike for my furry hiking companion so :cry:
This is what my ladyfriend does - pulls a trailer for the dog. On uphills, the dog would trot along beside her,
18646537_430395147330558_9146675195237367808_n.jpg
18646537_430395147330558_9146675195237367808_n.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4512 times
And that's one of the reasons she's my ladyfriend. Her pep talk for my trip included, "hey, just remember what I had to go through on MY tours". Tough love!
Jaggers
14ers: 47  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaggers »

Conor wrote:
Jaggers wrote:There are a lot of different reasons why CrossFit works so well for 14ers, but I will leave that for you to look into if you're interested.

Please educate us. Many people would argue crossfit is awful for 14er training. Mark Twight would be one of them, and his TINSTAFL segment in Training for the New Alpinism shows his exploration into crossfit for mountain training.
Hey Conor, Cicatrix posted in this forum requesting suggestions for a fitness training program to improve on a 14er hiking pace, and I shared something that works well for me. I have a lot of fun with it, and now I can cover the same distance and elevation gain in about half the time it used to take me. I was in good shape before I started CrossFit, but I'm in a lot better shape now.

I haven't heard the arguments about why what I'm doing is "awful" for 14er training. However, I also wasn't posting to get in a pissing match about fitness methodology. I'm sure there are other programs out there that work well, too.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Jaggers wrote:
Conor wrote:
Jaggers wrote:There are a lot of different reasons why CrossFit works so well for 14ers, but I will leave that for you to look into if you're interested.

Please educate us. Many people would argue crossfit is awful for 14er training. Mark Twight would be one of them, and his TINSTAFL segment in Training for the New Alpinism shows his exploration into crossfit for mountain training.
Hey Conor, Cicatrix posted in this forum requesting suggestions for a fitness training program to improve on a 14er hiking pace, and I shared something that works well for me. I have a lot of fun with it, and now I can cover the same distance and elevation gain in about half the time it used to take me. I was in good shape before I started CrossFit, but I'm in a lot better shape now.

I haven't heard the arguments about why what I'm doing is "awful" for 14er training. However, I also wasn't posting to get in a pissing match about fitness methodology. I'm sure there are other programs out there that work well, too.
No pissing match. I just wanted you to at least point me in the direction of some material about how crossfit prepares people for long hikes/mountain climbs. It contradicts what the "bible" of big mountain training and human physiology. I can provide material from people such as Maffetone, Oblrecht, Twight and sources from human physiology text books contrary to what you are saying.

I'll take it that you have no credible sources? If so, I would be interested in reading them. Otherwise, we're in a "good, better, best" argument - where anyone somewhat knowledgeable on the subject would say crossfit is better than nothing, but any exercise would be better than nothing. But anyone wishing to take their climbs to the next level, really ought to ditch the crossfit.

Good luck.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Conor wrote: But anyone wishing to take their climbs to the next level, really ought to ditch the crossfit.
Yeah, I agree. Whenever I'm trying to get good at something, I just look at people who are much better than I am, and I try to emulate them.

Wanna be a fast big mountain climber/hiker? What does Anton Krupicka do? He runs and climbs in the mountains everyday. What does Kilian Jornet do? He runs and climbs in the mountain everyday. Wanna be a good cyclist? What does Chris Froome do? He rides his bike everyday. What does Michael Phelps do? Swims nearly every day. And they all eat pretty darn well too.

Pretty simple trend there. Genetics notwithstanding.
Jaggers
14ers: 47  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaggers »

Conor wrote:
Jaggers wrote:
Conor wrote:

I'll take it that you have no credible sources? If so, I would be interested in reading them. Otherwise, we're in a "good, better, best" argument - where anyone somewhat knowledgeable on the subject would say crossfit is better than nothing, but any exercise would be better than nothing. But anyone wishing to take their climbs to the next level, really ought to ditch the crossfit.

Good luck.
If you're truly interested and have specific questions about how it has helped me, then I would do my best to answer. So far, you have only stated that others disagree. I don't see how citing vague references to contradictory authority does anything but inspire debate. You have asked me to provide you with credible sources proving why my personal experience with CrossFit has worked for me. Again, I was simply sharing my personal experience.

Good luck to you, too.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

In the great big world of what helps us excel at various objectives its important, very important to note we are not minions. We each have physical and mental characteristics that makes us each unique. Some things because of our DNA, others we've worked hard at. I may have a strength that is maxed out and isn't going to go much farther even though I may poor all my energies into it. This may be something that works great for some but may be just spinning wheels for others.

I had another pursuit that I became very good at. I studied everything I could do to get better. Some things worked great, others did nothing for me. Some of the things that didn't work were 'scientifically proven' to work and were trumpted by others.

Case in point: Creatine has varying effects on athletes. Some get a big effect, for others it does virtually nothing. It depends on how specific bodies process it and/or their bodies need to process it.

I think the best advice is to educate yourself as much as you can, try different methods and test them out for yourself. I think its short sighted to say of a particular exercise 'that doesn't work'.

I read an article once (a long time ago, wish I could share it) that covered this issue. Basically, you and I don't work the same hours, I may have a desk job, you, manual labor. You have a congenital foot defect, my upperbody is imbalanced.....etc. Saying that we have to have respect and admiration for those who may not excel at something like we do. They have trials we don't have to go through. Its a different battle for them.
This is a little off base but it illustrates why we can't take everything in a cookie cutter mode.
Last edited by Rollie Free on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb