Recommended 14er with camera gear

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JDoyle
Trip Reports (0)

Recommended 14er with camera gear

Post by JDoyle »

I will be in Colorado March 13-17 house hunting and would like to climb a 14er while there. This will be my first time hiking a 14er. I have taken the cog to the Pikes Peak summit. Any suggestions for a winter summit, while carrying camera gear, within 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Canon City, CO. I am in fairly decent shape and have hiking equipment. I can also acquire requisite snow gear if needed.

My initial thoughts were Humboldt Peak or Quandry Peak. Both are about the same distance away.
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Recommended 14er with camera gear

Post by wildsidesky »

Between the two, Quandary is your better bet. I've lugged camera gear up of most of the 39 that I've done and if this is your first winter summit Quandary is going to be reasonably safer and easier. Humboldt in the winter can be an ass-kicker, especially below treeline. Just make sure you're looking ahead at weather and trail conditions as your trip gets closer and have fun :)
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Yes, Quandary for sure between the two. But, you say it's your first 14er... do you have people to go with? Any experience hiking big peaks alone in winter? Hiking gear is different from winter "snow gear." I would not go alone on a first 14er in winter.
JDoyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDoyle »

USAKeller wrote:Yes, Quandary for sure between the two. But, you say it's your first 14er... do you have people to go with? Any experience hiking big peaks alone in winter? Hiking gear is different from winter "snow gear." I would not go alone on a first 14er in winter.
At the moment I do not have anyone to hike with. I am going to post in the climbing connection to see if anyone would want to go. I do not have experience climbing big peaks in the winter.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Quandary in March is pretty ambitious for a first 14er. It's going to be full-on winter up there. Besides the heavy winter gear, you'll likely need snow shoes and poles especially down low. Not sure how much your camera gear weighs, but that's a load to be carrying in less than ideal conditions. Start early and be sure weather conditions are favorable. I suspect its going to be a long day. Good luck with your endeavor!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Bigtruckerman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bigtruckerman »

I would not recommend this peak for your first one. The weather on any 14er can get vicious. I would recommend an easy one such as Mt. Bierstadt. I have done this in the winter and it will take about five hours one way to reach the peak. Leave as early in the morning as you can when the snow is frozen and on the return the snow may soften up from the sun. Do remember to lather on sunblock as you will get fried from the sunshine. I have been up Bierstadt 11 times and it is the easiest of the 14ers. I strongly recommend having a partner for your first time.
JDoyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDoyle »

Thank you all for the advice. Bierstadt is not much farther away so that is definitely an option. Now I just need to find a climbing partner.

My camera gear will weigh about 20 pounds but I am accustomed to hiking with more weight than that. The only winter gear I am missing is snowshoes.