Winter Ascents

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Medic-5150
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Ascents

Post by Medic-5150 »

Any suggestions for a good winter ascent? We have never done one before but have all the gear. Several summits in the summer and early Spring.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Winter Ascents

Post by RyGuy »

Medic-5150 wrote:Any suggestions for a good winter ascent? We have never done one before but have all the gear. Several summits in the summer and early Spring.
I'd recommend doing Quandary as a first winter 14er.

Quandary is frequently a first winter 14er for many people for several reasons:

-Very easy to get to in about any car
-Easy to follow class 1 route
-Shorter route (6.75 miles and 3,600 vert)
-LOW avalanche danger (Standard route)
-Can use just microspikes for traction if you'd like, instead of crampons (Although an ice axe is always advised)
-Cell reception most of the way up should you get in trouble (Or just want to show the FB world you were successful)
-Likely to be several other people climbing as well in case anything happens.

In summary: Quandary because it's a lower risk, low commitment, and yet still has the great view, frigid winds, etc. If you get 2-3 miles in and realize the gear you have isn't going to keep you warm enough, or your water is freezing up, or whatever...you don't have very far to go to get back to the car and civilization. I guarantee you'll probably learn a few things about winter climbing that will help prepare you for your next winter climb. Better to learn those things on an easier peak. :-)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

+1 to Quandary, it's probably the easiest and most accessible winter 14er.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Thirded - Quandary is perfect for a first winter 14er. Or 14er in general
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
deters34
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by deters34 »

Me and three of my buddies just hiked Quandary last Friday as our first winter 14er. Long day due to high winds and blowing snow but I would highly recommend it for anyone's first winter ascent. Haven't had time to post a trip report but it was epic!
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

Quandary for sure has its benefits, though here are a couple posts from earlier this year that may be helpful:

On planning a mountain:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41916&p=509332#p509332

On planning for conditions/gear:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41916&p=509332#p509332
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com