Trip Recommendation?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
smallshose
Trip Reports (0)

Trip Recommendation?

Post by smallshose »

Hey guys, my dad and I are visiting Denver for a week and a half (July 29 to Aug 7). We want to do couple 14ers while we are there. We've done some backpacking and primitive camping on Appalachians and Grand Tetons. I think we are fit to tackle couple of the easier 14ers. We are huge Broncos fans and want to catch their scrimmage on Saturday (Aug 3). So we probably will stay on the mountain from Monday to Friday/Saturday morning.

We are looking for a campsite where we can access couple 14ers and other smaller mountains. We will have to get acclimated to the altitude so we were thinking to do some easier hike before tackling couple 14ers later down the week. We would love to have a campsite where we can set up as a base camp and do some day hikes.

We are looking for some quite time away from busyness so if the campsite can be less crowded that would be great. But I also understand it's a peak season. We are just looking for some quite and quality time together and to enjoy the Rocky's.

Please let me know some recommendation and tips you guys might have.

God bless,

Josh
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trip Recommendation?

Post by Pops921 »

Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln are relatively easy 14er's. There are several camping spots at the trial head. How to get there and the route are well described on this site, it is not that far from Denver. Quandary, Grey and Torrey's Peak are also straightforward 14er's, but I am not aware of camping at the trailhead.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

There are plenty of great areas in the Sawatch Range that should suit you guys just fine. You could car camp at a variety of different spots and hike quite a few 14ers without really having to go all that far afield. Check out Belford, Oxford, and Missouri to start. Then maybe Harvard/Columbia, Shavano/Tabeguache, and any of the others that strike your fancy.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

My wife and I spent a few nights at Lower Crystal Lake south of Breckenridge in June and found it to be a fantastic spot - we hiked <1.5 miles in, but there is a route that would cut that hike in half (message me for more details). There's no restrooms, but there is a running stream for water, and remains of a mining cabin for a windbreak. No 14ers to hike directly, but Father Dyer, Crystal Peak, Peak 10, and Helen are great 13er options from your site. No guarantees, but in mid-June we didn't see a single other person here until the day we were hiking out.

The Kite Lake campground (for Democrat, Lincoln, Cameron, Bross, all 14ers) that was mentioned earlier in the thread is less than a half hour away. As was mentioned, it's an NFS campground, with restrooms. This is less than a half hour from the Crystal Lake Trailhead, FYI. Let me know if you would like more details, but my trip report below includes some details of the Crystal Lake site and Kite Lake. I'd love to share more, just let me know!

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser

Mt Sherman is also less than an hour south of the Crystal Lake Trailhead, and there is plenty of camping near there as well.
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com