Im sure....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
kansas
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Im sure....

Postby kansas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 am

Last edited by kansas on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
highpilgrim
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (69)

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 am

Mindi,

Don't be put off; like everyone else has said, get up, get out, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. That's how a mountain is climbed. One small step at a time.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Cruiser
14er Checklist (43)

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 am

Overweight and out of shape people make it to the top of 14ers every day during the warmer months. Getting up the easier ones really isn't all that difficult a physical task. A lot of it comes down to mental toughness. When you're really out of shape you can still probably summon up the will to put one foot in front of the other. You just have to be willing to suffer a bit. And if you do manage to make it to the top you'll feel like you've won the lottery!

That said, it might not be a bad idea to invest in a heart rate monitor so that you can maintain a pace that doesn't put your system at too much risk. Like other have said, start good and early because the thunderstorms can begin rolling in at 10am or even earlier this time of year.

Good luck!
Where ever you are... There you are.
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 am

highpilgrim wrote:
MissMindi wrote:I'm not really sure the point of qouting my first post from two years ago.

Dex is quite the internet sleuth, sharp-witted as a tack. He's just proving it to you.

wait...his wit is sharp as a tack? or he has the wit of a tack? When critiquing intraweb posts, you must be less ambiguous...how are the rest of us to know if we should grab popcorn or move on to the next thread?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
rickinco123
14er Checklist (8)

Postby rickinco123 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 am

Wow! Am I disappointed. Dex, would it be possible for you to delete your post and then everyone who responded to it could delete theirs once that is done? This was very compelling reading, it would be nice to "restore" this thread. If you think you have some valid point to make, just come out and say it instead of conducting some sort of internet investigation.

That includes my post, can't wait to delete it.
centrifuge
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (12)

Postby centrifuge » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said here regarding being able to summit a 14er if you are out of shape, I have seen people of all shapes, sizes, and ages summit 14ers, which is one of the best things about this sport! If this is a goal, then totally go for it! I just want to add one caveate that has not been mentioned with one brief exception. If there is something you are not mentioning in the initial question regarding medical conditions (and I am not saying you should disclose it here), then it may be worth talking to a Doctor to make sure you can do it safely. :)
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
JeffR
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (149)

Postby JeffR » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am

rickinco123 wrote:Wow! Am I disappointed. Dex, would it be possible for you to delete your post and then everyone who responded to it could delete theirs once that is done? This was very compelling reading, it would be nice to "restore" this thread. If you think you have some valid point to make, just come out and say it instead of conducting some sort of internet investigation.

Give him a break. He was fresh out of other threads to practice his usual keyboard diarrhea.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
paully
14er Checklist (56)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby paully » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am

I spent my first two years of 14er climbing at a whopping 270 lbs... getting off route on Kit Carson was the final straw that motivated me to drop weight... I encourage you to go for it, but do something like Grays.
colokeith
14er Checklist (30)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (31)

Postby colokeith » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Get out there man!! I was horribly out of shape and weighed over 300lbs when I decided I wanted to climb 14ers. It was one of my main motivators to get my ass in shape. I now weigh 175 and have kept the weight off for more than 3 years. Being out of shape and overweight makes it much less fun, but it is dooable.

• Do as much as you can to prepare physically.
  • Consume plenty of food and water (at least 200 calories per hour of carbohydrate rich foods)
  • Be willing to push yourself hard and have a don't quit attitude, but make sure you leave enough in the tank for the descent and emergencies. It is much better to turn around than go over the limit
  • When the going gets steep practice the rest step http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_step and Pressure Breathing http://expadventures.com/2013/06/high-altitude-techniques-pressure-breathing/
  • start early like really early so that you have plenty of time
  • try to limit breaks to one 10-15 minute break every hour. Finding a slow steady pace that you can maintain is much more efficient than stopping and starting
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
MissMindi
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby MissMindi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Pretty excited. Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!
ameristrat
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby ameristrat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
globreal
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (20)
13er Checklist (119)

Postby globreal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm

MissMindi wrote:Pretty excited. Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!

We are excited for you! You can do it!

And saying that to yourself is VERY important! When you start to hit the wall and want to give up, speak positive to yourself…

like, I CAN DO THIS, I AM GOING TO MAKE IT, ONE STEP AFTER ANOTHER, ONE STEP AFTER ANOTHER….

and before you know it you'll be on the summit celebrating!

And trust me, if you start the negative talk to yourself during this attempt, YOU WILL talk yourself out of it and give up. NO NEGATIVE WORDS…POSITIVE!!!
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
1 Peter 1:3-4

Return to “Just Starting? Info for 14er Beginners”