Advice on first 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Advice on first 14er

Post by Oman »

Some weird responses here. If you can run a mile, you can get up (one of the easier) 14ers. If you can run a 10K, you can do a 14er without much suffering.

Do your sisters play soccer or basketball or any sport that requires running? If so, then they can probably get up Bierstadt, Evans, or Sherman. A little better shape and they can probably summit Quandary, Grays, Torreys, Huron, or (my favorite, but a long drive from Denver) Handies.

Though some board members here gripe about the weekend parade of people on several of the popular peaks listed above, I've found that having people on the trails helps when you're hiking with kids. They motivate each other, and provide a social diversion for tweens who may not be into wildflowers, geology, butterflies, etc. What seems crowded to Coloradans may not seem crowded to visiting Ohioans.

Also: Who says you have to summit? Our family has had great days on peaks that we never stood atop. Just ditch the Xboxes and texting and enjoy a great day unplugged, even if you just go half-way up a peak. Have fun, but remember that different people have different definitions of fun.
Last edited by Oman on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

+1 on any peak starting with H or Q.
Oman wrote:If you can run a mile, you can get up (one of the easier) 14ers. If you can run a 10K, you can do a 14er without much suffering.
I don't think that's true at all. Running a mile on flat ground doesn't actually involve any work being done. Flatlanders generally fail with the elevation gain, which involves a lot of work and therefore taxes your muscles more than your heart and lungs. Flatlanders who are in too good cardiovascular shape need to be careful to pace themselves, lest their muscles and their lungs both give out at higher elevation.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I think most people vastly overestimate the real difficulty of a 14er. Anyone can make it up if you start early enough, have good weather and take it slow.
Unless they are grossly out of shape, I would tend to agree.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

pseudoghost wrote:Quandary or Huron. Start early and take it slow. I think most people vastly overestimate the real difficulty of a 14er. Anyone can make it up if you start early enough, have good weather and take it slow.
Yeah, this. I've seen 3-year-olds on summits, and I've seen 75-year olds on summits. People with disabilities. People a hundred pounds (or more) overweight. If your sisters and other family members are in moderate shape with no health issues, they should be fine. Go slow, take lots of breaks, watch for signs of AMS and keep an eye on the weather. The easier 14ers are very short and basic hikes.

Don't do Longs.

Bierstadt and Sherman (or Evans from Summit Lake if you really want to cheat) are the easiest near Denver, but in my opinion aren't as pretty as other options. I usually recommend Quandary to first-timers because it's a classic, aesthetic route with superb views that only requires 500ish more feet of elevation gain. Grays/Torreys is also more stimulating than Bierstadt, Sherman or Evans.

If you want to combine the ease of Bierstadt/Sherman/Evans with some of the best 14er views in the state, drive a little farther and go for Huron or Handies.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

pseudoghost wrote:Quandary or Huron. Start early and take it slow. I think most people vastly overestimate the real difficulty of a 14er. Anyone can make it up if you start early enough, have good weather and take it slow.
I agree, My first 14er I got an early start, went slow, took in the views and enjoyed the experience. 3 days later went up one with a way more experienced person and made the mistake of trying to keep up with them, needless to say it didn't end well. #Prepatellar bursitis
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I also am going to echo what a few others have already said on this tread…I would recommend Huron. It is only about an hour further from the others you initially mentioned. I always recommend Huron for people looking to hike their first 14er. If you consider the elevation gain, distance and difficulty, I really think you will find it to be as easy as any 14er can be (although, there really is no such thing as an “easy” 14er). The views you will have of Three Apostles during this hike are awesome…I really found Huron to be one of the most scenic 14ers in Colorado! Plus, it won’t be near as crowded as the 14ers closest to Denver…

Whatever you decide, you will have a blast!!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

I'd read this thread: Longs Peak for First 14er? and the Mountaineering Safety page (as should any in your hiking group).
Then: 14ers Ranked by Difficulty, and: Easiest 14er Routes, BUT what is easy for one is hard for another, and what is hard for one is easy for yet another -- you'll have to personally discover where you fit.

The top three for "1st Colorado 14er Climbed" (just to show two of your peaks are common choices) are:
Grays Peak 1158 Users (13%)
Mt. Bierstadt 1005 Users (12%)
Longs Peak 955 Users (11%)

Getting a headache that won't go away at a slower pace or break? Simply descend the route you came.
Not sure if you packed enough water? Turn around when you've gone through half.
Worried about steepness tiring you out? Well if to tired to continue, U-turn and it's all downhill from there.
Not sure how others in your group are? Ask, talk with them.

Read up, gear up, head out, turn around if prudent, and if the "turn around" is at the summit marker, \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ !!! Hike alert, not in fear. Hike informed, not in ignorance. Population stats do not apply to individuals any more than "if 53% Americans are female, and you're an American, it's safe to assume you're female." One could take a poll as to the "best" 14er, but that will only tell you what the popularity distribution will be if a similar group of similar number was polled, NOT what you will think is best. Your personal experience(s) in the mountains and your personal results with a doctor, at the gym, and or on the trail are what counts. Enjoy the hike (summit or not) and have a great trip!!! If it's about family time in the mountains, then the peak is secondary, right? :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

I'll throw in my $.02. Consider Mt. Democrat. I've taken several groups of middle schoolers and even a group of high school kids from IA up Democrat. With Denver area kids I'll bet we had a 95% summit rate.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

3rdGenNative wrote:I'll throw in my $.02. Consider Mt. Democrat. I've taken several groups of middle schoolers and even a group of high school kids from IA up Democrat. With Denver area kids I'll bet we had a 95% summit rate.
Democrat is one of the easier ones. The main issue is that it is ten mile gravel forest road where the quality varies from year to year. If you are coming an SUV or truck, then no problem. Otherwise the road depends how rough the winter runoff was and how recently the road was regraded. There are muffler-eating rocks and gullies then. Check the Trailhead report section here shortly before using it. Some of the other mentioned peaks have better road access.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

jdorje wrote:+1 on any peak starting with H or Q.
Unless it's Hwilson or Qapitol.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

TravelingMatt wrote:
jdorje wrote:+1 on any peak starting with H or Q.
Unless it's Hwilson or Qapitol.
Hwat!?

"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I’m always amazed at how many people do Longs for their first fourteener. But to put it in perspective, there is probably a higher failure rate on Longs than most fourteeners. A lot of people who shouldn’t be on the upper part of the mountain get weeded out during the long hike in. The scramble up to the Keyhole is a reality check that results in many turning back.

But many do continue on. When you look at fourteener fatalities, Longs has a high percentage on the standard route compared to most fourteeners. And this is a mountain with some really serious routes! Even with the harder fourteeners, fatalities are often either off route or on one of the harder routes.

I wouldn’t take someone up Longs without knowing they did okay on other fourteeners first. Your sisters might be okay, or they might not. I would find out on a less committing fourteener.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert