Which is Better for Acclimating?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Which is Better for Acclimating?

Post by nyker »

Craig Barlow wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:22 pm
Note that there are no mountains with elevators
This is categorically false. Whiteface Mountain in New York has an elevator.
That elevator on the last bit to the summit has been out of order so you'll have to walk that last hundred vertical feet for those driving up to the parking lot. :wink:
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

dan0rama wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:01 pm I am not gonna address the hypothetical bc you are discounting the effort required to climb up and down. Also, you are building in rest time in option 1. Of course rest always helps, just not for the reason you are implying.

"Acclimatization is a process whereby you break down and then build back stronger." - I am not sure you understand what happens to the body in altitude. Our blood cells become more efficient at transporting oxygen around. It's a complex adaptations not yet 100% understood, but you are not being built back stronger. You are just better at shuttling oxygen around. Also, this adaptation eventually goes away. How do you call that?
I created a hypothetical that focuses exclusively on the acclimatization issue we are discussing by removing the other variables and you refused to answer (likely after acknowledging that you agreed with me as to what the correct option was).

Despite your refusal to answer my question, I will attempt to answer yours. After stating how the benefits of acclimatization eventually go away (I agree), you asked, "How do you call that?" This implies that you believe there is something inconsistent with my position and the fact that acclimatization goes away with time. I have no idea how you arrived at this conclusion. If anything, I suppose this makes my weightlifting analogy more apt because those gains go away with time as well.

In the end, I'm confident that anyone capable of navigating a discussion board will be able to arrive at the proper conclusion based on reading the exchanges we have had so I'll give you the final word.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Apparently, there's a disagreement. We'll just have to agree to agree that Mike is wrong.

And smoke more weed.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

Option 1 would be better but for different reasons. Just like your previous recommendations were right, just for different reasons.

Let's say I am flatlander and my only goal is to acclimatize to 14k. What is a surefire way to succeed? Get dropped off at 14k and stay there for a long time. That's all. Of course, there are individuals who for reasons not yet fully understood are never able to fully acclimatize, but let's ignore them. Among those who can acclimatize, some have an easier time than others. Some suffer more than others. Some can't fall asleep, some have terrible migraines, etc. For those whose side-effects are very manageable, going up and down in altitude is no better than just staying at that altitude. For others, going up and down offer a more paced acclimatization process. It allows them a chance to maybe catch up on sleep, improve appetite, etc. I like HikerGuy's answer, he put it well "...just ways of managing the side effects of hypoxia as your body adapts".

On the other hand, in bodybuilding, you always need recovery days. If you moved into a gym and weightlifted 24h/day, you would never grow muscle mass.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

This thread delivers.
speth
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Welp, this went off the rails.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm <snip> We'll just have to agree to agree that Mike is wrong.
We'll all be able to agree on this.

Well, except for Mike.

:mrgreen:
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm And smoke more weed.
User name checks out
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
speth
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

bsears95 - I change my recommendation from “exercise and hike more” to “I did the research, and modern technology will deliver you to the summit.”

618FA914-F6D3-4C60-87E8-02C2DA4A3581.jpeg
618FA914-F6D3-4C60-87E8-02C2DA4A3581.jpeg (145.5 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
903EC7F0-7F90-4ED1-A2D6-B746BBB33B63.jpeg
903EC7F0-7F90-4ED1-A2D6-B746BBB33B63.jpeg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
882CDD60-5C96-4C1D-B4A4-003EC40A84B8.jpeg
882CDD60-5C96-4C1D-B4A4-003EC40A84B8.jpeg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Also comes in Pink Grapefruit flavor - thank me with a summit photo when you conquer your first 14er!

Boost Oxygen Canned 5-Liter Natural Inhaler Canister Bottle for High Altitudes, Athletes, and More, Grapefruit (6 Pack)

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.