Where to Fly In?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Where to Fly In?

Post by Scott P »

Maybe you're set on Elbert, but if I was in Colorado without a car, here's what I would do.

Fly to Durango and catch the Durango Silverton train to Needleton or Elk Park and either head for Chicago Basin or some 13ers. No rental car required and no leaving a rental car to sit there at some trailhead.

To be honest, Elbert is pretty lame as far as mountains go. If coming from far away, I'd focus on the more interesting and scenic places myself, but to each their own.

Just a suggestion. Be aware that the above does include backpacking though and that may not be in your plans.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:17 pm Maybe you're set on Elbert, but if I was in Colorado without a car, here's what I would do.

Fly to Durango and catch the Durango Silverton train to Needleton or Elk Park and either head for Chicago Basin or some 13ers. No rental car required and no leaving a rental car to sit there at some trailhead.

To be honest, Elbert is pretty lame as far as mountains go. If coming from far away, I'd focus on the more interesting and scenic places myself, but to each their own.

Just a suggestion. Be aware that the above does include backpacking though and that may not be in your plans.
On a related note, you could alter your plans to Rocky Mtn National Park. I did that without a car when I lived in Chicago by taking a shuttle to Estes from the airport. I also backpacked, but you wouldn't necessarily have to.

There is also the Bustang now, which didn't exist when I travelled from our of state. Multiple places you could go from DIA in the mountains w/o a car. I don't think they service Leadville, but you can take a bus from Frisco to Leadville on Summit Stage or Vail to Leadville on ECoTransit.

The issue with shuttles/Buses is they aren't going to go to a trailhead, so you would have more walking from town or need to take a cab/uber or post here and see if you can pick up a ride etc. to get from town to a trailhead, but there are ways to avoid rental cars all together if you wanted.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Waiting for Justin to chime in that you should just bike. What's the big deal?

Scott's right... hit the SJs. The Sawatch is very Sawatchy besides the Apostles. Or RMNP but if you go that route, brace yourself for the tourist crush.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

+1 on the Colorado springs recommendation. That is a wonderful airport.
Much smaller than dia, easy /cheaper to park, no shuttle from parking,
Just head inside, small security lines due to a lot less people. I used to use that airport a lot when I lived in Denver.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

ltlFish99 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:43 pm +1 on the Colorado springs recommendation. That is a wonderful airport.
Just head inside, small security lines due to a lot less people. I used to use that airport a lot when I lived in Denver.
Yep, I typically go from car to gate in less than 20 minutes at the Springs airport. In contrast, sometimes it cost more to fly from there...
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

jrs1965 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:43 pm +1 on the Colorado springs recommendation. That is a wonderful airport.
Yep, I typically go from car to gate in less than 20 minutes at the Springs airport. In contrast, sometimes it cost more to fly from there...
The other drawback is that almost every flight to/from the Springs is a connection. Unless you are coming from a hub for an airline that flies there, you're very likely going to be making a connection. Very often that connection ends up being Denver...
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 am Edit: You could also go for the Black Cloud trail or park at the 2WD (paved) lot on the south road if you don't mind a longer hike. Black Cloud felt like more of a Wilderness experience than the routes on the east side.
+1. Skip all of the slow dirt road driving and the hoards of people climbing up to Colorado's high point. Park right off of CO-82 (beautiful road) and hike Elbert from the bottom! The views south towards La Plata are stunning.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

ECF55 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:26 am Edit: You could also go for the Black Cloud trail or park at the 2WD (paved) lot on the south road if you don't mind a longer hike. Black Cloud felt like more of a Wilderness experience than the routes on the east side.
+1. Skip all of the slow dirt road driving and the hoards of people climbing up to Colorado's high point. Park right off of CO-82 (beautiful road) and hike Elbert from the bottom! The views south towards La Plata are stunning.
another bump of support for black cloud- absolutely love that trail
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis