Where to Fly In?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jacob-Manley
Trip Reports (0)

Where to Fly In?

Post by Jacob-Manley »

Newbie to Colorado here. Wondering where to fly in if I wanted to climb Mt. Elbert? What is the closest major airport?
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Where to Fly In?

Post by hellmanm »

Define "major airport". The closest one during the summer is probably Aspen or Salida, but the only major airport around is Denver (which wouldn't be that much further away). 95% of the time I'd say to just fly to Denver.
Jacob-Manley
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jacob-Manley »

hellmanm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 pm Define "major airport". The closest one during the summer is probably Aspen or Salida, but the only major airport around is Denver (which wouldn't be that much further away). 95% of the time I'd say to just fly to Denver.
Perfect. Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Leadville is the closest and I think is the highest airport in the US. Aspen is the closest commercial airport. Just fly to Denver and rent a car for $400/day. Gas should be $6/gallon by then $100 to fill up an SUV. Thanks Uncle Joe and Aunt Kammie!
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 pm Leadville is the closest and I think is the highest airport in the US. Aspen is the closest commercial airport. Just fly to Denver and rent a car for $400/day. Gas should be $6/gallon by then $100 to fill up an SUV. Thanks Uncle Joe and Aunt Kammie!
:thumbup:
Aim high to end high
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 pm Thanks Uncle Joe and Aunt Kammie!
:roll:
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

JChitwood wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 pm Leadville is the closest and I think is the highest airport in the US. Aspen is the closest commercial airport. Just fly to Denver and rent a car for $400/day. Gas should be $6/gallon by then $100 to fill up an SUV. Thanks Uncle Joe and Aunt Kammie!
I'm hoping that your post is pure sarcasm. But what is NOT is that one does not need an SUV to go to Mt. Elbert trailhead. It's a well-maintained dirt road. So, you can probably cut that gas fill up cost by half. Or by two thirds once adjusted for your sarcasm. And yes DEN is by far the most convenient airport for commercial service options and airfares (until it's time to head home and deal with the insane TSA lines).
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Someone is asking about taking a vacation to Lake County…?! Better let them know how I feel about politics!!
5A64B692-2797-4902-AD39-F78024798AE7.jpeg
5A64B692-2797-4902-AD39-F78024798AE7.jpeg (158.3 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I would agree that Denver is going to be the cheapest for you to fly in to. I live in Eagle County and it might be a shorter drive from our airport or Aspen but the fares are usually a lot higher and you'd still need a rental car for Elbert. Less direct flights in summer as well as our busy season for flying is ski season. If you use the northern trailhead, you can rent a smaller car with a lower daily rate and better gas mileage, just don't tell them you are taking it on dirt roads. Might want to give it a quick car wash before you return it if it gets muddy.

Edit: You could also go for the Black Cloud trail or park at the 2WD (paved) lot on the south road if you don't mind a longer hike. Black Cloud felt like more of a Wilderness experience than the routes on the east side.
Last edited by Chicago Transplant on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mad_as_hell.jpg
mad_as_hell.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Colorado Springs Airport is another option. It’s about the same drive time to the Leadville area during ski season, and if you are staying overnight Buena Vista may be a better deal as there aren’t major ski areas nearby.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

headsizeburrito wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:32 am
JChitwood wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 pm Thanks Uncle Joe and Aunt Kammie!
:roll:

Time to add Mr. Chitwood to the ignore list. Life is too short to put up with politics on a mountain webpage.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.