Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
sanjuanmtneer
Posts: 160
Joined: 7/5/2006
14ers: 58
13ers: 665
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by sanjuanmtneer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm

It cracks me up when people say Rio Grand (not Grand'ae') because they're mixing two languages, Spanish and English in the name of a geographical feature.
Wouldn't it be either Grand River or Rio Grande?
Would it make sense to say Grande River? Also a mixture of two languages?
When you order a big taco is it a Taco Grand or a Taco Grande?

Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)
DaveLanders
Posts: 422
Joined: 3/7/2009
14ers: List not added

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by DaveLanders » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm

sanjuanmtneer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm
It cracks me up when people say Rio Grand (not Grand'ae') because they're mixing two languages, Spanish and English in the name of a geographical feature.
Wouldn't it be either Grand River or Rio Grande?
Would it make sense to say Grande River? Also a mixture of two languages?
When you order a big taco is it a Taco Grand or a Taco Grande?

Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
Then there's the people who talk about the Rio Grande River
RETEP 1
Posts: 137
Joined: 9/13/2015
14ers: 56
13ers: 17

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by RETEP 1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm

DaveLanders wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm
sanjuanmtneer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm
It cracks me up when people say Rio Grand (not Grand'ae') because they're mixing two languages, Spanish and English in the name of a geographical feature.
Wouldn't it be either Grand River or Rio Grande?
Would it make sense to say Grande River? Also a mixture of two languages?
When you order a big taco is it a Taco Grand or a Taco Grande?

Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
Then there's the people who talk about the Rio Grande River
I grew up in Northern New Mexico. This is just a suggestion. From my experience, at least in New Mexico, don’t correct the natives on how they pronounce things and if they correct you, just go ahead and oblige.
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 955
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by greenonion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:11 pm

RETEP 1 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm
DaveLanders wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:59 pm
sanjuanmtneer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:29 pm
It cracks me up when people say Rio Grand (not Grand'ae') because they're mixing two languages, Spanish and English in the name of a geographical feature.
Wouldn't it be either Grand River or Rio Grande?
Would it make sense to say Grande River? Also a mixture of two languages?
When you order a big taco is it a Taco Grand or a Taco Grande?

Colorado was Spanish territory much longer than it has been U.S.
Then there's the people who talk about the Rio Grande River
I grew up in Northern New Mexico. This is just a suggestion. From my experience, at least in New Mexico, don’t correct the natives on how they pronounce things and if they correct you, just go ahead and oblige.
Bingo. You get stuff, obviously.
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2655
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers: 58
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by nyker » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

I usually try and pronounce things in local language if possible, but not always possible without butchering a word. Scandinavian and Asian languages/countries make it a little tougher...
timisimaginary
Posts: 484
Joined: 11/19/2017
14ers: 2
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by timisimaginary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 am

i just ask myself, "how would Alex Trebek say it?"
social distancing since the day i was born...
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1140
Joined: 6/16/2010
14ers: List not added

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by mtree » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:45 am

And then there's Table Mesa...
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ker0uac
Posts: 523
Joined: 8/30/2016
14ers: List not added

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by ker0uac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:08 am

If it's something that was named by the native speakers, then I'll say it in their language and will look down on people who do otherwise bc I can't pass on an opportunity to call someone racist. But if it's Sbux's menu, then hell no, give me a f***ing large cup of coffee. I find native american names the hardest to pronounce. There's a beach in RI called Quonochontaug. Funny, they massacred them but out of respect kept the original names of their lands.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
timisimaginary
Posts: 484
Joined: 11/19/2017
14ers: 2
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by timisimaginary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am

shelly+ wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 am
Now if we could just pronounce couloir and glissade properly!
there are so many french or french-derived words in mountaineering, since modern mountaineering began in the alps with French and Swiss climbers. then the British came and just imported all those french terms into the english language, but anglicized the pronunciation, because no self-respecting Brit would ever want to sound like the French. now when we Americans use those terms, we have to pronounce them our own way, because no self-respecting 'merican wants to sound like a Brit.

i still don't know what the "correct" pronunciation of crevasse is... kruh-VASS or kruh-VAHS. i've heard it pronounced both ways about an equal number of times. col drives me nuts... i usually hear it said KOLE, but the french pronunciation is closer to KAWL. all i do know is, when Americans try to say words with a French accent, they usually just end up sounding like Cajun Man. especially if you're talking about pitons and crampons.
social distancing since the day i was born...
User avatar
shelly+
Posts: 424
Joined: 6/15/2018
14ers: 31 3

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by shelly+ » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 am

timisimaginary wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am
shelly+ wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 am
Now if we could just pronounce couloir and glissade properly!
there are so many french or french-derived words in mountaineering, since modern mountaineering began in the alps with French and Swiss climbers. then the British came and just imported all those french terms into the english language, but anglicized the pronunciation, because no self-respecting Brit would ever want to sound like the French. now when we Americans use those terms, we have to pronounce them our own way, because no self-respecting 'merican wants to sound like a Brit.

i still don't know what the "correct" pronunciation of crevasse is... kruh-VASS or kruh-VAHS. i've heard it pronounced both ways about an equal number of times. col drives me nuts... i usually hear it said KOLE, but the french pronunciation is closer to KAWL. all i do know is, when Americans try to say words with a French accent, they usually just end up sounding like Cajun Man. especially if you're talking about pitons and crampons.
lol it doesn't really matter how one says the things one says, after all. the objective of language is to express an idea, and language is lousy at doing that precisely.... pronunciation simply makes it lively.
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 955
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by greenonion » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:52 am

shelly+ wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 am
timisimaginary wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am
shelly+ wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 am
Now if we could just pronounce couloir and glissade properly!
there are so many french or french-derived words in mountaineering, since modern mountaineering began in the alps with French and Swiss climbers. then the British came and just imported all those french terms into the english language, but anglicized the pronunciation, because no self-respecting Brit would ever want to sound like the French. now when we Americans use those terms, we have to pronounce them our own way, because no self-respecting 'merican wants to sound like a Brit.

i still don't know what the "correct" pronunciation of crevasse is... kruh-VASS or kruh-VAHS. i've heard it pronounced both ways about an equal number of times. col drives me nuts... i usually hear it said KOLE, but the french pronunciation is closer to KAWL. all i do know is, when Americans try to say words with a French accent, they usually just end up sounding like Cajun Man. especially if you're talking about pitons and crampons.
lol it doesn't really matter how one says the things one says, after all. the objective of language is to express an idea, and language is lousy at doing that precisely.... pronunciation simply makes it lively.
But how does one pronounce lol in French, English, and Merican?
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1140
Joined: 6/16/2010
14ers: List not added

Re: Pronunciation, local or 'Merican?

Post by mtree » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:01 pm

timisimaginary wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am

i still don't know what the "correct" pronunciation of crevasse is... kruh-VASS or kruh-VAHS. i've heard it pronounced both ways about an equal number of times. col drives me nuts...
That's an easy one. In 'Merican...

Butt crack.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Post Reply