Dereferenced summits MANASLU - 8,163m

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Dereferenced summits MANASLU - 8,163m

Post by I Man »

Early this morning local time - around 9am on September 27th, 2019 Peter Hamel aka "Dereferenced" reach the summit of the world's 8th highest mountain, Manaslu (8,163m / 26,759ft).

Peter has long been my main climbing partner and one of my closest friends. I think his wife would complain that she has to share him!

This was his 3rd attempt to reach the summit of an 8000er. In the spring of 2015 his climb of Cho Oyo was cancelled due to the earthquake.
In the summer of 2017, the two of us reached 25,000ft on Broad Peak in Pakistan before turning back.
Finally, he reached his dream of summitting an 8000er, in good style - solo, unsupported and without oxygen.

Peter is one of the hardest working, dedicated mountaineers I have ever met. It is has been a privilege to climb with him and learn from him. I would not be the climber I am today without countless hours of his guidance and patience. He is extremely talented and deserving this incredible accomplishment.
He never compromised on style, and put in the work required to truly climb the mountain, despite the modern culture on 8000ers.

Pur first climb together was Capitol Peak in June of 2012.
We then did our first major big mountain trip together in July 2012 - Rainer's Liberty Ridge.
Our last major trip was Broad Peak. In between we traveled to South America, to Alaska many times, and all over North America.

CONGRATULATIONS PETER!!! JOB WELL DONE!!!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Dereferenced summits MANASLU - 8,163m

Post by TomPierce »

That's great to hear, Matt. Is he down safely or still on the mountain? Congrats to him!

-Tom
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Congrats Peter! Huge accomplishment, especially having the discipline and guts to make multiple attempts without giving up. Safe travels home!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Congrats to you Peter! Amazing accomplishment.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

Congrats Peter, can't wait to hear about it
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Awesome Matt! Congrats to Peter. Good things come to those who wait
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Great work in summiting Makalu, Matt! So cool to see you pull off this coveted ascent! =D> =D> =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

14erFred wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:38 pm Great work in summiting Makalu, Matt! So cool to see you pull off this coveted ascent! =D> =D> =D>
Manasalu, not Makalu and it wasn't me! I have been comfortably working at a desk in New York City while Peter climbs!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Hell yes Peter! I am glad my idea of going all the way back down to rest and recover scared you enough to keep going and get it done with! Bad ass buddy. I can't wait to grab beers with you when you get back! Its been great getting to know you as a climber and friend. Hopefully we will share a summit of an 8k together someday!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Hopefully there will be a trip report. I'd really like to hear the story.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

9 AM? I started late and summited after noon. Same way I climb 14ers.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

I hope you put up a TR and some photos, Peter. Incredible achievement.
When life gets you down, climb!