Tanzania Plans Cable Car For Mount Kilimanjaro

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tanzania Plans Cable Car For Mount Kilimanjaro

Post by nunns »

pw wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 am "The U.S. birth rate has hit a record low of 1.7, well below the replacement rate of 2.1, as more women choose careers over having families.

According to figures released by the CDC, the number of live births in the U.S. dropped to 3.8 million last year, which is the lowest level in 32 years."

https://summit.news/2019/05/15/u-s-birt ... -time-low/
This is true, but the US population will continue to grow due to immigration (both legal and illegal) as long as our country is a place that people want to come to.
Sorry to get off-topic.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Tanzania Plans Cable Car For Mount Kilimanjaro

Post by WanderingJim »

**BACK on TOPIC** :)

I checked with my trekking company and they did say there is discussion about this in Tanzinia and the guides and porters are definitely not liking it. Nothing concrete yet, but apparently is it something the national park has been interested in for a while. :(

But another snag in everyone trips is that Tanzania is banning plastic bags beginning next month. They aren't sure the scope or how closely it will be enforced yet, but they are warning people not to bring plastic bags into the country after June 1st.

I understand not filling the world with one use plastic bags (and try to avoid them whenever possible), but this does complicate my gear list (I have relied heavily on ziplock bags for less weight and waterproof containment of small items).