Orizaba Logistics Questions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Orizaba Logistics Questions

Post by Buckie06 »

Hello,
for anyone that has done the Mexico volcanoes, how long did it take from the MEX airport to get to Tlachichuca via the public buses? I see we have a transfer in Puebla, just want to know about when we'll be arriving at the climber's hotel.

thanks.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Orizaba Logistics Questions

Post by Trotter »

Buckie06 wrote:Hello,
for anyone that has done the Mexico volcanoes, how long did it take from the MEX airport to get to Tlachichuca via the public buses? I see we have a transfer in Puebla, just want to know about when we'll be arriving at the climber's hotel.

thanks.
We did a car service to Puebla, so we could stop by the pyramids, but on the way back it took about 5 hours total? Spend the extra $5 US to get the express bus to/from Puebla and Mexico city. Puebla to Tlchichuca does not have an express bus. Stops at every tiny town.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It takes about 4.5 hours by bus.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

I haven't hiked the volcanoes around Mexico City but I've spent time in the city. Best way to describe Mexico City is, it's like a super sized Chicago, only thing is, Mexico City is cleaner and safer. Great people, food and some really cool old churches. Definitely worth spending a day touring the city. There's also ruins in the city center. Know some basic Spanish. The pyramid of the sun and moon are impressive! You can walk to the top of the sun and see the immense city that was built.
Hotel Punto MX 47 Republica de Uruguay, 06000 Mexico City, Mexico is where I stay when I'm there. Roughly 30 minutes from the airport, super friendly/helpful staff and a great breakfast. Tons of food and history within walking distance. Most important of all, clean rooms! Back in September I scored a room there for $70usd a day.
I'm not a religious person, but if you want a cool experience, go to a Sunday service. Do not take communion unless you confess first.

FWIW: I had absolutely NO issues in MX being a big conservative white dude from the US.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
ddeckys
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ddeckys »

Scott P wrote: It takes about 4.5 hours by bus.
This is about how long it took us too! Take note of the bus station you transfer at in Puebla, I didn't realize there were multiple and that only one of them has the bus to Tlachichuca. We ended up at the wrong station in Puebla and had to take a quick uber to the other one, not a huge deal but something I wish I had known!