Mt.Everest New Climbing Regulations

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers:summits56 winter3 
13ers:summits186 
Trip Reports (4)

Mt.Everest New Climbing Regulations

Post by Bombay2Boulder » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Seems like some new climbing regulations from the Nepal side. Thought this might interest some people here. Well, there's always the Tibet side.
https://www.mountainiq.com/new-climbing ... t-everest/
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Mt.Everest New Climbing Regulations

Post by justiner » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Except #2... lame.

It's like reading the regs. before getting on a roller coaster.
Traveler
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits4 

Post by Traveler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:41 pm

What percentage of those attempting Everest have successfully climbed a 7000m peak? I would think it is less than half, so that rule (if it is ever enforced) will drastically cut down on the people climbing Everest (as well as the jobs in Nepal and permit revenue).
shredthegnar10
14ers:summits58 ski2 winter1 
13ers:summits14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Requiring guides is never about "safety," just about increasing the influx of foreign money. I sort of get the reasoning behind wanting more scrutiny of solo climbers but outright banning them seems over the top -- especially since they probably account for a relatively small fraction of the total number of people on Everest. It's Nepal, so people will still find ways around it, but it sucks that people who want to climb without a guide have yet another hoop to jump through now.
Requiring people to climb something over 7000m is just going to turn Cho Oyu/Manaslu/Baruntse into the same kind of crowded shitshow that Everest is (yes, I realize Cho is in Tibet but people will still use it to fulfill that requirement).
I didn't realize that Sherpas didn't get summit certificates. That's the only good thing about this.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Traveler
14ers:summits29 
13ers:summits4 

Post by Traveler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am

Looks like these Everest announcements should not be taken seriously, at least according to Mark Horrell:
http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2018/it ... son-again/
montanahiker
14ers:summits27 
13ers:summits100 

Post by montanahiker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Traveler wrote:Looks like these Everest announcements should not be taken seriously, at least according to Mark Horrell:
http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2018/it ... son-again/
Fast forward two years. On 30 December 2017, the Guardian published more or less exactly the same story again. This time it had the title Nepal bans blind people and double amputees from climbing Everest and was written by Michael Safi (whose name, coincidentally, is an anagram of ‘His Fecal Aim’).
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion. From their lofty summits I view my past, dream of the future and, with an unusual acuity, am allowed to experience the present moment. On each journey I am reborn." - Anatoli Boukreev
Squirrellysquirrel
14ers: List not added

Post by Squirrellysquirrel » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am

Thought that this news might loosely fit the thread here...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52819738

Edit: The motorcycle clip at the end is rather interesting, too.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
timisimaginary
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary » Wed May 27, 2020 12:30 pm

the one bright side of Nepal shutting down climbing this year, we won't have to hear about a whole bunch of new Everest regulations that will never be implemented or enforced.
social distancing since the day i was born...