K2 in Winter

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

K2 in Winter

Post by Traveler »

Hard to believe that K2 has still never been summited in winter.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... oland-spd/
Apparently a Polish team is trying to be the first.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: K2 in Winter

Post by pvnisher »

I thought The Great Camillo did that years ago??
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Traveler wrote:Hard to believe that K2 has still never been summited in winter.
Not hard for we mere mortals to believe.

:mrgreen:
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Those guys are insanely brave. I assume that their chance of dying on the trip is much greater than their chance of summiting. What a shame that all of the "easy" mountaineering accomplishments have checked off and now we are left with the increasingly insane challenges, such as K2 in the winter, day-hiking Annapurna, or completing the 14ers in 8 days. Good luck to all of the people dreaming Big in 2018!

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/12 ... bs-are-on/
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see if they are successful. If anyone can do it, it will be a Polish team as those guys and gals are some of the toughest climbers out there (see the book Freedom Climbers), and were the first to summit any of the 8000 meter peaks in the winter.

I read somewhere that there is a 15% success rate on 8000 meter peaks in the winter, and the peaks in the Everest region of the Himalaya are “easier” in the winter both logistically and weather wise than the Karakoram, so much of there trip will be completely out of their hands. The last 8000 meter peak in the Karakoram to be climbed in the winter was Nanga Parbat in 2016 by Simon Moro and it took 31 attempts by different groups before someone was successful.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Been keeping an eye out for this, what route are they looking at taking? Hitting that peak in the winter has got to be so insane.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I read somewhere that there is a 15% success rate on 8000 meter peaks in the winter, and the peaks in the Everest region of the Himalaya are “easier” in the winter both logistically and weather wise than the Karakoram, so much of there trip will be completely out of their hands. The last 8000 meter peak in the Karakoram to be climbed in the winter was Nanga Parbat in 2016 by Simon Moro and it took 31 attempts by different groups before someone was successful.
Great post and info, but for clarification, Nanga Parbat is in the Himalaya rather than the Karakoram. Nanga Parbat is the only 8000 meter peak in Pakistan that is not in the Karakoram, the others being gathered in the K2 region.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Deanxpv
14ers: 14 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Deanxpv »

XterraRob wrote:Been keeping an eye out for this, what route are they looking at taking? Hitting that peak in the winter has got to be so insane.
From what I saw they are going up the cesen route.
"It's always further than it looks. It's always taller than it looks. And it's always harder than it looks."
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:
Great post and info, but for clarification, Nanga Parbat is in the Himalaya rather than the Karakoram. Nanga Parbat is the only 8000 meter peak in Pakistan that is not in the Karakoram, the others being gathered in the K2 region.
You're right, that was my mistake, thanks for the correction. I would still argue however that Nanga Parbat’s location in Pakistan makes it more similar logistically and weather wise to the Karakoram peaks than the Himalaya.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

XterraRob wrote:From what I saw they are going up the cesen route.
Wow! Interesting route choice. The Cesen route is certainly direct but has a high chance of avalanches and is difficult to retreat down. Plus you still have to deal with the upper portion of the Abruzzi ridge that has killed so many climbers. Hopefully they all make it out the the other side ok.

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You're right, that was my mistake, thanks for the correction. I would still argue however that Nanga Parbat’s location in Pakistan makes it more similar logistically and weather wise to the Karakoram peaks than the Himalaya.
Yes, the Himalaya in Pakistan and far northern India follow similar weather patters to that of the Karakorum. Nanga Parbat does have a reputation for fierce storms since it stands more alone than other 8000 meter peaks.
Wow! Interesting route choice. The Cesen route is certainly direct but has a high chance of avalanches and is difficult to retreat down. Plus you still have to deal with the upper portion of the Abruzzi ridge that has killed so many climbers.
All the above is true, but is still considered the "safest" line on the mountain. It is also considered the second "easiest" route, after the Abruzzi .
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Scott P wrote:
Yes, the Himalaya in Pakistan and far northern India follow similar weather patters to that of the Karakorum. Nanga Parbat does have a reputation for fierce storms since it stands more alone than other 8000 meter peaks.
Wow! Interesting route choice. The Cesen route is certainly direct but has a high chance of avalanches and is difficult to retreat down. Plus you still have to deal with the upper portion of the Abruzzi ridge that has killed so many climbers.
All the above is true, but is still considered the "safest" line on the mountain. It is also considered the second "easiest" route, after the Abruzzi .
We were lucky enough to be there this summer and meet many of the members of the Polish team attempting this winter. Many have climbed the peak before and have years of experience in the range. They seemed to think the Chesen Ridge was the superior route choice - one significant reason being that it is less exposed to the punishing winter winds than the Abruzzi. These are some really talented and experienced guys (for example one of them had day tripped Broad Peak a few years ago). Hoping they get it!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.