Toubkal in Morocco?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Toubkal in Morocco?

Post by nomad_games »

Search returned 3 hits with no info. Can't find much info on the webs other than ice climbing reports. Lots of "I went to toubkal, it was great" comments on reddit travel, but no real info. As far as I can tell, it's a pretty straightforward hike other than maybe needing crampons and axe near the top in winter, and the necessity of staying a night in Imlil just because it's so long to get there in one day.

anyone here done it? worth it?
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Toubkal in Morocco?

Post by spiderman »

Lots of information, GPS tracks, and trip reports on Peakbagger:

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=11046

It looks relatively stratightforward, albeit long, hike.
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

thanks, wasn't seeing that one. That is what i gather so far.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Nomad, if you don't already have the Peakbagger mobile app, I highly recommend it. It has been invaluable for so many peaks. Being able to download other people's tracks is a huge benefit. I also can see interesting side-trips when travelling. There are so many fun lists to work on if you are that type of person. I wish that I wouldn't start three new lists for every one that I actually manage to complete. Last year I got on a country highpoint fixation and knocked off ten. I might do Toubkal this summer if the timing workings out to coincide with a business trip.
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

I didn't know about it, I'll check it out, thanks!
garrettanton
14ers: 34  2  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by garrettanton »

Just did it last week actually and would recommend it if you have time. Some details since I also found it tough to get up to date info (some of the transit info to/from imlil was hard to find and many sites were minimally informative, out of date, or geared towards less experienced folks planning to have a guide). The peak itself is roughly equivalent to Quandary in difficulty, but the 7 mile hike in/out (well tracked donkey trail) adds a bit of time. Depending on when you go, crampons might not be needed, I wore trail runners with crampons up but eschewed them on the descent and glissaded the steeper snow (NB this year is a low snow year in Morocco) with an axe. If you're fast and depending on how you get to Imlil you could do Marrakech to Marrakech in a day. I left Marrakech at 9 and was at the refuges by 130 which would have been plenty of time to summit if I was in a rush. Refuges to refuges on Summit day was less than four hours and then I was back in Imlil before 4PM with plenty of time to get back to Marrakech if I had wanted to.

A few notes:
Fastest way to Imlil is to buy a whole grand taxi (no more than 300Dhs each way, less depending on how much you bargain). If you want to do it in a day, I think this is the route (or drive if you have a car), but there are cheaper ways (shared grand taxi, bus to Asni, hitchhike)
I rented an axe and crampons in Imlil for two days for less than $15
If you have time for two days, staying at the refuges is actually really interesting, it was pricey in winter by Moroccan lodging standards (280Dhs) but that includes dinner and breakfast and is a good chance to chat up other climbers and the local guides.

I'm happy to help with any questions you have, PM me!
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

Good info thanks!