Iztaccíhuatl or other peaks near Mexico City?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Iztaccíhuatl or other peaks near Mexico City?

Post by nomad_games »

Anyone done Iztaccíhuatl? I just bought a cheap ticket to Mexico City for this weekend. It will be my second trip there this year. I did all the museums, etc last time and am thinking I might bug out of the city and do some hiking.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Iztaccíhuatl or other peaks near Mexico City?

Post by Scott P »

Yes, a lot of us have been there. What kind of info are you looking for?

A weekend isn't much time to acclimatize though. Some people have done it in a weekend, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are short on time, I would consider doing Nevado Toluca instead.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

Ok. I did a search. Didn't find anything searching the peak name.

I'm looking for info like that. Living in Denver and doing 14ers regularly, will I have problems getting acclimatized? Is it doable solo in a weekend? What kind of gear will I need this time of year?
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

If you're thinking of doing Iztaccihuatl this week-end, it would be a good idea to check if the road to Paso de Cortes is open. Popocatepetl was erupting Monday and if it's spewing out much at all, the road will likely be closed. I wasted a couple of days in Amecameca a few years ago on the rumor that the road would soon open due to another Popo eruption.

Anyone know how to find current information on the road? It would be a shame to waste time on a tight schedule.

Also, how will you be traveling? It will make a difference in your ability to change plans if Popo has Paso de Cortes shut down.

JimS
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

+1 for Nevado de Toluca.

There’s a FB page called Senderismo Mexico that has good info. I just made a post asking about Paso de Cortes to see if it's open. If so, make sure you get a ride all the way to La Joya. It’ll cost extra but will save you 5 miles of walking.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

Ok I'm dumb. I searched without the accent mark and found a ton of stuff. Doesn't look like something I should try this weekend. Luckily there's a bunch of cheap flights available in the next couple months so I think I'll plan a longer trip and go back.

That said, def interested in intel for that trip. Thanks guys
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

Search Nevado de Toluca. Lot's of stuff comes up on google or summitpost. The road is likely passable by 2wd to the hut at 14000. Anyone know if the little lodge/hostel lower down is regularly open?

For gear, Toluca may be dry unless there's been recent snowfall. Whatever snow there is will be recently fallen. There is no glacier. I've only been there in April for the Skyrace Mexiquense. Google that, also, as there are lots of good youtube videos that show the area. I would think just normal non-technical 14er gear for this time of year would be plenty.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Living in Denver and doing 14ers regularly, will I have problems getting acclimatized?
You certainly could. Izta is quite a bit higher than any 14er. No one can tell if you will get sick or not though.

For the record, the only time I have gotten much altitude sickness was from climbing Popo too fast. I was inexperienced with altitude back then and didn't take enough time to acclimatize.
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

mtnjim wrote:Search Nevado de Toluca. Lot's of stuff comes up on google or summitpost. The road is likely passable by 2wd to the hut at 14000. Anyone know if the little lodge/hostel lower down is regularly open?

For gear, Toluca may be dry unless there's been recent snowfall. Whatever snow there is will be recently fallen. There is no glacier. I've only been there in April for the Skyrace Mexiquense. Google that, also, as there are lots of good youtube videos that show the area. I would think just normal non-technical 14er gear for this time of year would be plenty.
I was there a couple weeks ago and it was bone dry. It might have changed since but I doubt it. I flew into Mexico City in the afternoon and took a bus to Toluca. Spent the night, ate breakfast, and found a cab driver to take me all the way to the trailhead. He ended up waiting for me ~6 hours and he gave me a ride back to the bus station. It’s a worthy climb.

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

cool, maybe i'll just do that one then. I'd like to get out of CDMX a bit and see the surrounding area other than Teotihuacan. and climbing mountains is always a bonus.
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions.

Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was there a couple weeks ago and it was bone dry. It might have changed since but I doubt it.
It was snow covered last week, but we only saw the mountain from a distance (from the Cerro Pelon area). It was probably just a dusting, though I'm not sure.