Need Info: Everest BC Trek in July

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Need Info: Everest BC Trek in July

Post by TomPierce »

14ers Community,

My Missouri-based boss mentioned yesterday afternoon that her college student daughter is doing a trip next July in Nepal. It's apparently a part humanitarian trip (rebuilding schools flattened by the earthquake) then finishing with a trek to Everest basecamp. My initial thought was that July is the monsoon, which I confirmed online this morning. Let's assume changing the location to another area in the "monsoon shadow" is not an option. I have had a few friends do the trek, but that was a looong time ago, I think it's a bit more civilized now?

Here's the question: For those that have done the trek, ideally during the monsoon, what gear did you think was absolutely essential? Rain gear of course, but anything that isn't obvious that would really add to the experience? Any tips for female travelers? As far as I know she'll be in a group, not alone. Many thanks in advance!

-Tom
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Need Info: Everest BC Trek in July

Post by JimR »

Kudos to her for helping out. It's a poor country, & they have not fully recovered yet; they can use the help.
As for the trek, I just got back from doing it two weeks ago. The monsoon had just ended when we started, so I can't really comment on the monsoon season. HOWEVER, although conditions have apparently improved over the past decade or so, they are still pretty "rustic." We stayed in teahouses/guest houses rather than tents, but there did not seem to be much opportunity for drying out. I may be getting soft(er) in my old age, but I would not want to do much of the trek in the rain. Even the flights to and from Lukla can be a rather iffy proposition, with no flights for days at a time in bad weather. I think there's a (good) reason that commercial companies tend to avoid the monsoon season. On the plus side, the air quality might be better during the monsoon season.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Need Info: Everest BC Trek in July

Post by highplaces »

Hi Tom, I thought it was pretty civilized, in some places you can even get a shower. Sleeping area is unheated, common eating/hanging out area is heated. Mostly pit toilets, some western style sit downs. Bottled water can be purchased at every stop along the way. I’d recommend one or two of those small portable chargers for recharging electronics, especially for the phone if you use it for photos. Getting juice can be easy in some places and more difficult in others. Buff, visor, sunscreen, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, map, notebook/pen, deck of cards. Pens, pencils, small notepads are great gifts for kids along the way. Glad to help with any more specific questions if she has them. It’s a fantastic trip, though I might be a bit less motivated during the monsoon :)