Cerro Chirripó - Costa Rica

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Cerro Chirripó - Costa Rica

Post by griddles »

Hi,

Starting planning a trip to Costa Rica For this Fall/Winter I don't do beaches all that well so looking for some adventures and hiking Cerro Chirripó (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Chirrip%C3%B3) seemed to fit the bill. Wondering if anyone here has done this hike, or others in Costa Rica? Any tour operators would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Cerro Chirripó - Costa Rica

Post by SoCool »

Well I don't really have any information on your mountain, but I wanted to warn you that Costa Rica is overflowing with beautiful women and beautiful scenery- you may never return to "normal life." (I once spent three months there and it wasn't nearly enough.)

Have fun!!!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

definitely do the Arenal volcano hot springs. I hiked some on the volcano, but they didn't let you summit back then due to eruption danger.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Chirripó involves a lot of bureaucratic hassle...would love to go climb it someday but you really, really need to plan ahead, probably several months in advance. I would try to get in touch with the park office and find out their latest policies (or if you don't speak Spanish, find someone who does to do it for you).

One very cool and logistically far easier endeavor is climbing Cerro Chato right next to Arenal--it's a dormant volcano with a summit crater lagoon you can swim in! You have to pay ten bucks to climb it, but otherwise it's a straightforward climb up the most muddy, eroded trail you've ever seen to the volcanic crater rim. From there, it's a crazy steep 200' descent to the lagoon, literally class 3 mud with fixed ropes in places. Well worth it. Check out the waterfall when you're back at the base of the mountain too!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Here is my summitpost trip report from Jan 2014. It's a very long day if you can't get space at the Base Crestones hut. You do have to get a permit.
http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-chirrip ... day/887443
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

ChrisinAZ wrote: Cerro Chato right next to Arenal
+1

Pretty intense hike.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wondering if anyone here has done this hike, or others in Costa Rica?
I have climbed it. It is one of the more interesting mountains in Central America. As said, now days you have to get a permit in advance. If you don't speak Spanish, there are tour companies that can help you do this, but it's really not that hard even if you only speak English:

http://www.hikingchirripo.com/

You really don't need a guide for the mountain.

I do have a webpage on the mountain:

http://www.summitpost.org/cerro-chirrip/150327

As far as I know, I have kept it reasonably up to date.

I do have a trip report as well, but it is from February 2004:

http://www.summitpost.org/climbing-cerr ... ife/169511

My wife and I climbed Chirripo then. She was six months pregnant and I carried our 20 month old son to the top.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.