Mera Peak - October 2017

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Mera Peak - October 2017

Post by wildsidesky »

Hello!

Mera Peak stands at a daunting 21,247' and is located above the Mera Valley near Lukla, Nepal. Despite its impressive stature, it is not a "technical" peak and is supposed to be a good first-step for those who aspire to climb larger peaks in the Himalayas and around the world.

I traveled to Nepal just weeks after the devastating 2013 earthquakes. I did so to provide aid and to co-produce a documentary about the deadly natural disaster. The majority of our trip was in the Khumbu region (the popular area below Mt. Everest). I fell in love with the Himalayas at first gander. While I didn't trek or climb to the top of any peaks (I made it up to 15,800' on a just-for-fun hike), I knew the Himalayas would draw me back.

My guide for that trip was a fellow named Pemba G. Sherpa. He owns the best Nepalese restaurant ever called the Sherpa Cafe in Gunnison, Colorado. Outside of his restaurant business he also owns a small guiding company called Alpine Adventures International. He does routine trips to Nepal with clients for a variety of different destinations and recently returned from a trek to Everest Base Camp. Pemba has his own impressive track-record of climbs. Growing up in the Khumbu, he was a porter at a very young age and eventually became a guide before moving to the USA. He's summited Mt. Everest twice, Cho Oyu, Island Peak, and much more. Notably, he's also summited Mera Peak dozens of times (he guessed around 50 ascents while he still lived in Nepal).

Towards the end of my trip in Nepal I asked what a good first 6000m peak would be. We entertained the idea of climbing Mera Peak a few years later, after I graduated college. That time is drawing near.

I met with Pemba yesterday and we have an itinerary and cost worked out. The trip would be about 20 days and would be from October 20th - November 8th 2017. What we don't have is enough people for the trip. We have several people interested—but those people often have "things come up." We are hoping to have a group of no less than 6 and no more than 9. If you are interested in more details (cost/itinerary/etc), shoot me a PM.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Mera Peak - October 2017

Post by I Man »

Good luck, I hope you get to go!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
wildsidesky
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (24)

Post by wildsidesky »

I Man wrote:Good luck, I hope you get to go!
thanks :) I don't think I've ever wanted anything more than I want this haha
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I will have to stop by the Sherpa Cafe next time I drive through Gunnison; I have seen it many times but never ate there. That sounds like an amazing trip. The views of Everest must be astonishing. I have heard that the typically-climbed central peak became significantly harder when a major crevasse opened up below the summit; apparently few guide services head up the true peak.

http://www.summitpost.org/mera-peak-summit/514207