Climbing in Mexico in Dec./Jan.?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing in Mexico in Dec./Jan.?

Post by mtnjim »

If you're actually going to be on Izta on the 18th, keep this in mind: http://www.soloparasalvajes.com/index.p ... ple-corona" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can get to Paso de Cortes early enough, you can likely get an entry for the race.
\:D/
Gafoto
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gafoto »

I will be in Puebla starting Saturday Jan 21. Hoping to acclimatize on La Malinche and then Orizaba that week Flying back to SLC on the following Sunday. I'd love to find a partner with a similar schedule! Shoot me an email gafoto@gmail.com.
feldyinstilly
Trip Reports (1)

Post by feldyinstilly »

Just got down to Mexico City and heading to Amacameca tomorrow and will probably camp at Paso de Cortez. If anyone is around who wants to head up Izta, give me a holler. Cheers
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Just got back from Iztaccihuatl, but if you want to meet up later, let me know.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As an FYI, when timf and I were there back in January there was plenty of room in Piedra Grande Hut.
You got lucky (or maybe we got unlucky). It was EXTREMELY crowded when we were there a few days ago. There were also dozens of tents. I would recommend bringing a tent for sure!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Just came back from there. Agree with Scott's comments on a tent. That hut will typically be crowded and noisy with people coming and going, unless you can time your sleep when most are climbing.
- few people were in the hut yesterday, but it was jammed for a few days before that. It's hard enough to sleep at 13,800ft, much less with all the people traffic, snoring, and vehicles, music, etc.
However, choose your campsite wisely. Many people unknowingly pitched their tents on or near latrine sites or near a trail. It can also get windy on the open terrain, I saw one tent blow away down the hill when folks were out hiking.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

nyker wrote:That hut will typically be crowded and noisy
+1

I'm not necessarily antihut, in general, but the Piedra Grande Hut is just not a restful place.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Scott P wrote:
As an FYI, when timf and I were there back in January there was plenty of room in Piedra Grande Hut.
You got lucky (or maybe we got unlucky). It was EXTREMELY crowded when we were there a few days ago. There were also dozens of tents. I would recommend bringing a tent for sure!
You should probably take into account that you were there between Christmas and NYE which might have something to do with the crowding; Timf and I were there mid-January and there were 12-15 of us in the hut.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Ignatius Reilly
14ers: 19  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ignatius Reilly »

Hey guys,

Several weeks ago I recall reading about two guys who ran a very affordable transportation (and equipment rental, I think) service. I believe several people who climbed Orizaba and/or Izta recommended them. All I really remember is that they spoke limited English, would pick you up from Mexico City and drive you there, and provided meals. I'm having trouble figuring out where I first read about them, so if anyone knows the name of their service it would be greatly appreciated!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Ignatius Reilly wrote:Hey guys,

Several weeks ago I recall reading about two guys who ran a very affordable transportation (and equipment rental, I think) service. I believe several people who climbed Orizaba and/or Izta recommended them. All I really remember is that they spoke limited English, would pick you up from Mexico City and drive you there, and provided meals. I'm having trouble figuring out where I first read about them, so if anyone knows the name of their service it would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know whom you are referring to, but there are three main companies that do this; Servimont, Orizaba Mountain Guides, and Summit Orizaba.

Personally though, I'd recommend just using the super convenient and comfortable bus service, at least to Tlachichuca.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Agreed. Not only is the bus system in Mexico efficient, it's very inexpensive. I believe one way from Mexico City to Tlachichuca via Puebla was ~$20USD. Considering the distance and that it's a coach bus it's a great deal.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Ignatius Reilly
14ers: 19  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ignatius Reilly »

Appreciate the insight. Thanks!