Aconcagua - Guide Company Reccomendation

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fortmyers-b
14ers: 58  7  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (0)

Aconcagua - Guide Company Reccomendation

Post by fortmyers-b »

Hello,

What guide company did you choose for Aconcagua? Would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Aconcagua - Guide Company Reccomendation

Post by Boggy B »

Didn't do Acon, but we used Jose Orviz for transport on Mercedario a few years ago. He used to guide Acon; now he runs a gear shop and logistics (including guides). He's local and reliable, and we'd use him for any future trips through Mendoza. Highly recommend. http://orviz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

I used these guys in Dec 2012:

https://patagonicas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never done a big guided trip like this before, so I don't have good basis for comparison. We made it to the summit with a very narrow window of weather, so the guides did a great job from that standpoint. A lot of other teams got tossed off the mountain trying to push to higher camps too early or late.

My biggest complaint was the food at basecamp. That year they started to contract out basecamp support to another company, but potentially they've changed contractors in recent years. The food below basecamp was great. Higher on the mountain was pretty simple, but as expect.

They're based out of Boulder, but use all local guides.
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

I would team up with a couple of like-minded and capable friends that you trust and hire an outfitter to help with logistics on arrival and transport. Once you're on the mountain, take your time and enjoy the challenge on your own that is more mental toughness and physiological than technical. Don't underestimate the demands of higher altitude. Remember that Aconcagua has a "success" rate that is much lower than that of Denali despite the considerable difference in technical demands. It has been a while, but I hired Rudy Parra and was very pleased with his support service. Above all, have a safe and rewarding trip!
fortmyers-b
14ers: 58  7  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fortmyers-b »

Thank you all for the insight.
Mrwaffles989
14ers: 19  11  4 
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Mrwaffles989 »

Aconcagua Trek seems to have best base camp location and good set up. Inka expeditions seemed good too.

I just used ATs mules but the staff at base camp was very friendly.

You'll prolly save alot more money and have a better time using an argentine company imo.

Edit as far as Acon Trek their services range from transport from airport to Mendoza to the park, mules, guided climb, meal services, tent rentals, dome rentals, tents with cots... Depends what you want. If you just want mules and a guide they'll do that, if you don't wanna a guide there's an independent association of porters you can hire to shuttle your gear in base camp. Check out their website and email Flavia. Again, I only used the mules but heard nothing but good reports about the meals, staff, etc.. I wanna say Acon is a mountain you don't need a guide for, but weather turns and the altitude kills many.
Mrwaffles on Facebook

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for Godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches-that is the right and privilege of any free American." -Edward Abbey,
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

See below.
Last edited by uwe on Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Hi,

Fernando Grajales Expeditions - I used this outfitter when I went in 2008. [grajales.net]
Another is here in Boulder, Colorado - Aventuras Patagonicas. [patagonicas.com]

Best of luck.
Hope you have time in Mendoza.
I recommend a tour of Bodega Catena Zapata Winery. [catenawines.com], including the wine tasting room. Pretty spectacular all the way around.