77 year old climbs Annapurna

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

77 year old climbs Annapurna

Post by Scott P »

It’s a feat which may not be repeated for a long time. Spaniard Carlos Soria bagged his 12th eight-thousander this morning when he reached the summit of Annapurna, thus setting the age record on the mountain; 77!

“Carlos Soria and the expedition BBVA rises to the top of the Annapurna,” announced Carlos Soria’s Facebook page at around 10am local time. He launched the summit push from C4 (7100m) at night.

Carlos Soria is also the oldest person to climb K2 at the age of 65, Broad Peak (68), Makalu (69), Gasherbrum I (70), Manaslu (71 years), Kanchenjunga and now Annapurna (77). Only Dhaulagiri and Shisha Pangma are missing from his 14x8000ers crown. The Spaniard plans to attempt Dhaulagiri this season after Annapurna.

http://altitudepakistan.blogspot.com/20 ... t-age.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: 77 year old climbs Annapurna

Post by kaiman »

Wow! What an amazing feat. Thanks for sharing this Scott.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Jesus, most people see themselves sitting around their living room watching TV or doing crossword puzzles at that age. This dude was getting out and putting his body on the line to nail some seriously dangerous peaks. Can't beat that drive.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

XterraRob wrote:Jesus, most people see themselves sitting around their living room watching TV or doing crossword puzzles at that age.
I'm kinda just hoping I'll still be alive lol.
-Chris
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

both awe inspiring!! and humbling, what is wrong with me?
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

Definitely inspiring. A fantastic achievement.
wyyld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wyyld »

There is still hope!!!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." - John Muir