Orizaba crevasses

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Orizaba crevasses

Post by MountainHiker »

Gabriel wrote:corduroy: I don't remember how long it took. I was doing afast day trip from Puebla and was focused on quickly getting to the summit and back to Puebla. I'm assuming you want to stay at the hut, which means heavy overnight gear, so probably some time.

Timf: the most convenient way to hike Izta is fly directly in to Puebla from Dallas or Houston and access La Joya from the east. No need to actually go to Puebla as Cholula is closer to the pass.

Gabriel
Timf: I've flown direct to Mexico City from Denver. From Mexico City the Volcanoes bus went to Amecameca. The National Park office is right on the main square along with opportunities for a ride to the hut. Here's my trip report with some of that info along with an Izta map. http://www.summitpost.org/iztaccihuatl-utm/377355
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Orizaba crevasses

Post by timf »

MountainHiker wrote:
Gabriel wrote:corduroy: I don't remember how long it took. I was doing afast day trip from Puebla and was focused on quickly getting to the summit and back to Puebla. I'm assuming you want to stay at the hut, which means heavy overnight gear, so probably some time.

Timf: the most convenient way to hike Izta is fly directly in to Puebla from Dallas or Houston and access La Joya from the east. No need to actually go to Puebla as Cholula is closer to the pass.

Gabriel
Timf: I've flown direct to Mexico City from Denver. From Mexico City the Volcanoes bus went to Amecameca. The National Park office is right on the main square along with opportunities for a ride to the hut. Here's my trip report with some of that info along with an Izta map. http://www.summitpost.org/iztaccihuatl-utm/377355
That's my plan. When we were down there in January, there didn't seem to be any eastern approaches via Puebla either by taxi or bus that would take one to La Joya. From the west side via Amecameca seems to be the only reasonable way to go. With a Carribean cruise planned in November, I might have to wait until 11/2017.