Orizaba crevasses

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Orizaba crevasses

Post by mikefromcraig »

Everything I read preparing for Orizaba said no crevasses.

When I got back I read a book (forget the title, it was a guy who did Elbrus, Acancagua, Kilimanjaro, and Orizaba) and he said he came across a small crevasse on Orizaba and was surprised because everything he read said they don't exist.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I'm seriously considering going back again next winter but might try it from the south side.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

FYI, everyone is know who has done the south side says it sucks. If you do enjoy it, let us know.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Scott P wrote:FYI, everyone is know who has done the south side says it sucks. If you do enjoy it, let us know.
I've heard the same thing and who knows, maybe I'll change my mind by then.

Does anyone know if the crevasse is easily avoidable?

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I have done both routes and prefer the south route. If you like summer class 2 fourteeners you'll like the south route. The best part is that you avoid the guide and logistics dependent hordes on the Jamapa route.

Have fun
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Gabriel wrote:I have done both routes and prefer the south route. If you like summer class 2 fourteeners you'll like the south route. The best part is that you avoid the guide and logistics dependent hordes on the Jamapa route.

Have fun
Gabriel, I'd love to get some info regarding the south route and the logistics to get there when you have a chance.

mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Sean had some nice words about it - http://drdirtbag.com/2016/01/02/pico-de ... l-3h40-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

mtn_nut wrote:Sean had some nice words about it - http://drdirtbag.com/2016/01/02/pico-de ... l-3h40-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read it. Just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Gabriel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

The logistics: flying to Benito Juarez in Mexico City. Take the Estrella Roja bus line from the terminal to the 4 Ponientes station in Puebla if you plan to stay in Puebla, or CAPU station in Puebla if heading directly to Ciudad Serdan which is the valley base for the south route. from CAPU get a bus to Ciudad Serdan which usually run on the hour. From Ciudad Serdan hire a standard cheap 2 wheel drive taxi to take you to the saddle between Sierra Negra and Orizaba. If acclimatized and reasonably fit you can hike the summit and return to your taxi in a shortish day. Agree in advance the wait time which should not be more than $20. If you happen to be a kind soul, buy the taxi guy some drinks and take out tacos. The hike is Mt. Democratish. There is a possibility that you will have snow above the rock feature "El Pulpito." You could take microspikes, but many have summitted in tennis shoes, even flip flops. The funny thing is that you'll also see guys fully dressed for actual mountaineering on the summit.

Have fun,

Gabriel
CorduroyCalves
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Thanks for the info. How far do you think it might be from the saddle to the hut?

timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

WHEN I go back it'll be for Ixta only. Less travel time from Mexico City. Bus to Amecameca, taxi to La Joya, done!
Orizaba is certainly a beautiful mountain, but Ixta looks a bit more interesting to me.
Gabriel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

corduroy: I don't remember how long it took. I was doing afast day trip from Puebla and was focused on quickly getting to the summit and back to Puebla. I'm assuming you want to stay at the hut, which means heavy overnight gear, so probably some time.

Timf: the most convenient way to hike Izta is fly directly in to Puebla from Dallas or Houston and access La Joya from the east. No need to actually go to Puebla as Cholula is closer to the pass.

Gabriel