Ecuador Trip

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
feldyinstilly
Trip Reports (1)

Ecuador Trip

Post by feldyinstilly »

Not sure if anyone here is planning to go to Ecuador this December. I am going to Quito on the 12th and will be there 3 weeks. I am looking to do Pasachoa, Rucu Pichincha, Illiniza Norte, Cayambe, and Chimborazo. I went solo to Mexico last year and met some awesome people. If there is anyone on here going down, I would love to at least meet up.
feldyinstilly
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ecuador Trip

Post by feldyinstilly »

Just got down to Quito. Anyone around by chance? My friend is one of the too UIAGM cert guides here just said the conditions on Chimborazo are very bad-- very icy and technical. Anyone been there recently??
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

A guy on FB 14ers went up Chimbo and Cayambe last week and posted a guide name who might have more detailed beta:
Richard Cost: I used http://www.andeanface.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for logistics. The guide you want is Esteban "Topo" Mena.(redact)
The guides seemed pretty well in touch - I'd be surprised if climbing conditions became drastically more difficult (icier) in a week.

We met a lot of climbers near Plaza Foche. Yuppy, over-priced food, but that seems to be where all the US people hang out.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
feldyinstilly
Trip Reports (1)

Post by feldyinstilly »

Posted in Lost and Found, but also want to put here:

If there is a Mark from Colorado here (don't know the last name)-- I have your iphone headphones you let me use on Cayambe yesterday... and I think I can also track down the picket you gave to my friend on our down-climb (which was a HUGE help btw).

We looked for you at the refuge when we got down, but you were gone :(

Email me at nate.feldman@okstate.edu if you see this
Emily
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Emily »

How did your trip go? Has anyone else been / planning to go to Ecuador this season? I'm heading there the week after next to check out El Altar and Chimborazo...curious if anyone has recent reports on these peaks. Gracias!
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Bump. I didn't want to start another topic, but I will be in Quito over the upcoming weekend and wish to go up Pichincha (via the cable car) on Sunday. The forecast looks like PM storms, and as I recall the Teleferico operates starting at 9 AM.

How long does it take to get up there, does anyone have other info on difficulty, etc. based on their 14er experiences? Safety? Anyone actually down there at the moment and wish to deal with an out-of-shape hiker?

thanks!
IG: jc_solitude
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pops921 »

It's basically a hike.

Short section before summit is easy class 3/difficult class 2, depending on your route selection and opinion on what make a class 3. I do not remember significant exposure on this section, but probably is a little.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Seconded the above. I'd probably call it class 2+ at the top.

This time of year, there will be storms every day in the afternoon, and due to the operating hours of the gondola, you can only start so early. A couple of weeks ago, the operating hours they had posted at the ticket counter said they open at 8am, and I believe we were there around 8:30. We got stormed on during the descent, and it's a situation that anyone who goes up during rainy season will need to accept as typical.

About safety, I thought it was perfectly fine. There were reports in the late 2000s of robberies and assaults happening on the trail a short distance away from the top of the gondola, but practically none since 2010. I honestly don't even know where bandits would hide/stalk since it's just about completely open. There's a line of trees to the south of the trail right as you start, and you might keep an eye on it as you walk by, but we didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Use a cab to get to and from the base of the gondola.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

^^^ Read your trip report, thanks for the detailed info. I'm on my own, so I'll have to take this into account when I go. But it looks doable, and based on your map, pretty much a straight line and a sharp turn at the end.
IG: jc_solitude