Host you in Germany - Hike or Climb in Ger/Ita/Swi/Fr Alps

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Host you in Germany - Hike or Climb in Ger/Ita/Swi/Fr Al

Post by kman »

StarGirl wrote:OMG YES. God bless American and the State of Colorado!! YOu have no idea how you just lifted my little spirits.
Well, I'm glad I could help you out from 8,000 kilometers away! Not sure, however, if I'll be able to bring you a Chipotle burrito or not!

The routes ARE a blast - lots of exposure and even a glacier to contend with (Zugspitze). The pictures from the link you provided do highlight parts of the route (Zugspitze) quite nicely. PM me, and we'll work out the formalities.

On a side note, I think we have a mutual friend here in the Springs. Her name is Ling.
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

Bring a Chipottle Burrito??? Are you kidding me! If you are willing to host me in you place and show me around I will cook for you the whole time. :)

I was in Czech for Christmas this past year and wanted to make a trip to the Garmisch area but just couldn't make it happen. This is an incredible hospitable offer and if I get over there again in the near future I will be in touch. Even if your home is too full with all these nice CO folks I would still drop by to make a friend and bring some beer or wine.

Good luck there and maybe we'll get to meet for a hike.

Steve
StarGirl
Trip Reports (1)

Post by StarGirl »

kman wrote:
StarGirl wrote:OMG YES. God bless American and the State of Colorado!! YOu have no idea how you just lifted my little spirits.
Well, I'm glad I could help you out from 8,000 kilometers away! Not sure, however, if I'll be able to bring you a Chipotle burrito or not!

The routes ARE a blast - lots of exposure and even a glacier to contend with (Zugspitze). The pictures from the link you provided do highlight parts of the route (Zugspitze) quite nicely. PM me, and we'll work out the formalities.

On a side note, I think we have a mutual friend here in the Springs. Her name is Ling.
I've never done any glacier travel, but I know the area you are talking about and have seen pictures. I will try to get smart on the technicalities and read up on it in my "Freedom of the Hills" book. Not that it is the same as doing it, but I am a little sponge in person. I have looked at the exposure and think I will be okay with it. The most extreme exposure I have experienced on was on Capital Peak but at the end of the day, I just found you that you stay busy climbing and don't really think about it. It is strange to think of having metal jammed into the side of a mountain and then stepping on it--but in this regard, if there is one thing I trust about Germans is the safety measures, precautions, and inspections processes. Don't think I would go on a via ferrata route in say...China. :-) My little heart is pumping already as I picture myself and feel the air betwixt my feet and picture myself expanding my life experiences.

How neat that you know Ling as well. Her spirit and laugh will be with us.

Working late today before heading to Munich so I may not be back on this till Monday, but I am SO DOWN. If you need anything on this end logistically, need to ship anythind to an APO box, or ANYTHING, just let me know. I will be driving there. I don't really care about the burrito. LOL I am too excited by the INSTANT GRATIFICATION bestowed upon me by the universe!
StarGirl
Trip Reports (1)

Post by StarGirl »

Steve Gio wrote:Bring a Chipottle Burrito??? Are you kidding me! If you are willing to host me in you place and show me around I will cook for you the whole time. :)

I was in Czech for Christmas this past year and wanted to make a trip to the Garmisch area but just couldn't make it happen. This is an incredible hospitable offer and if I get over there again in the near future I will be in touch. Even if your home is too full with all these nice CO folks I would still drop by to make a friend and bring some beer or wine.

Good luck there and maybe we'll get to meet for a hike.

Steve
I love Garmisch (well anywhere in Bavaria) I have access to that nice US Army resort. I don't like to stay there because I prefer German lodging, but one of the restaurants there has great steaks and french onion soup which I would love after a full day of adventure. My place is embarrassingly too big for one person. I won't run out of room.

This is another I want to do in Switzerland, the hardergrat. Cool looking hike. Keep scrolling down as the pics get better. http://patitucciphoto.com/2014/10/07/hi ... itzerland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Hey there, I am currently living in the Netherlands. I've struggled being away from mountains the past nine months and am slightly envious of your proximity to the Alps and the Black Forest.

I am expecting my first child any day now which has kept me close to home the last month but I am trying to plan a camping trip around the 4 - 6 wk old window. My initial searches show that everything in the Black Forest is restricted to reserved camping sites, do you know if that is accurate? Do you have any recommendations for camping in that region? All I'm really craving is wilderness/nature and to not be surrounded by too many people (this is actually out of fear that my child might keep others awake in the night). You are absolutely welcomed to join us if you're interested.

BTW, there is a Chipotle in Frankfurt. A little closer to you than me but my wife always jokes when she is craving a Chipotle burrito that maybe it's worth the 5 hours of public transport.

-Mat
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

Hardergrat looks super cool. I believe I saw it in backpacker magazine recently. Imagine getting paid to travel and hike. SIGN ME UP!!!
StarGirl
Trip Reports (1)

Post by StarGirl »

MatB wrote:Hey there, I am currently living in the Netherlands. I've struggled being away from mountains the past nine months and am slightly envious of your proximity to the Alps and the Black Forest.

I am expecting my first child any day now which has kept me close to home the last month but I am trying to plan a camping trip around the 4 - 6 wk old window. My initial searches show that everything in the Black Forest is restricted to reserved camping sites, do you know if that is accurate? Do you have any recommendations for camping in that region? All I'm really craving is wilderness/nature and to not be surrounded by too many people (this is actually out of fear that my child might keep others awake in the night). You are absolutely welcomed to join us if you're interested.

BTW, there is a Chipotle in Frankfurt. A little closer to you than me but my wife always jokes when she is craving a Chipotle burrito that maybe it's worth the 5 hours of public transport.

-Mat
Hi Mat, just wanted you to know I am asking around for you. It seems very Germany that everything would only be by reservation. Please know if you want to take a break driving back to the Netherlands, I have a huge place with room for a little familyif you want to shower or stay a night before making the drive. I really don't mind.
Attachments
my house
my house
house.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 2161 times