Nepal Trek - Everest Base Camp - April or November?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Nepal Trek - Everest Base Camp - April or November?

Post by highplaces »

I'm looking to do an Everest Base Camp trek and peak climb (Lobuche East or Island Peak) in 2015. I've seen guided treks offered in both the spring (April) and fall (November). From what I've read, the fall can be clearer since the summer monsoon helps clear the dust out of the air. The days will be longer in the spring by about 1.5 hours. And the temps will be a bit warmer in the spring. Any thoughts on which time of year is better? Is one busier than the other along the route? I'm most interested in having good clear weather (not clouded in) for views, and for success on peak climb. Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nepal Trek - Everest Base Camp - April or November?

Post by Scott P »

For the "smaller peaks" (i.e. Loguche East or Island Peak) November will have better and clearer weather. May is better to climb Everest itself since the jet stream blast the peak in the fall from the north, but the lower peaks are more sheltered since Everest and other peaks bear the brunt of the jet stream. May is busier with Everest climbers, but the trek itself is busier in November.

I'd recommend a porter to get to Everest Base Camp or Island Peak Base Camp, but you really don't need guides to get to the basecamp. I'd check around some of the services around places like Namche Bazaar. Most guesthouses in Kathmandu can probably put you in touch with a guide in advance and can arrange meeting him somewhere in one of the villages along the trek.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

I trekked and did Lobuche right be fore the Monsoon started in June of 12'. The weather was perfect.... The summit has an amazing view of Everest and Ama Dablam. I think my TR and link to photos is still up.
Its a blast. Enjoy.
Catchy saying from someone famous.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

I would love to hike to Everest Base Camp one day. My friend Ling has taken people thru her travel adventure company. I know she is on 14ers.com, but I'm not sure of her screen name (I know that's not a lot of help though)
Last edited by hop2it on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertKay
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (10)

Post by RobertKay »

I prefer fall over spring for the reason you mention: clarity of views. But it is a little like trying to choose between two supermodels. I think your chances of success on Island Peak will be the same (and also very good). I suspect that Louche might have better success in the spring when a lot of the Everest climbers are using it for acclimatizing so there are fixed lines, kicked in steps, etc. You may also find these advantages in the fall but I don't know. I think Lobuche is a little tougher than Island Peak but not by much.

The cold shouldn't be a big issue if you bring appropriate clothes and gear.

Kathmandu is nicer in the fall and has some very interesting festivals in October and November.

You can't go wrong and will have a fantastic time.
Peakmarker.com
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

The Colorado Mountain Club, as part of its 2015 Year of the Mountaineer Program, has a Mt. Everest Base Camp trek, plus Island Peak climb planned for fall, 2015. You can check it out by going to [url]cmc.org[/url] and clicking on the Adventure Travel tab, scroll down until you see the trip. Best of luck.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I think Lobuche is a little tougher than Island Peak but not by much.
It does look more exposed (dmiki photo):

Full size:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/687517.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS, I see that you have climbed it. Looks awesome.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

I got back from a climbing trip in the Gokyo Valley of the Himalayas mid-Nov, and we had stunningly great weather. Weather is always an X factor, but the fall seemed pretty darn stable for weather patterns and the skies were consistently clear (on most days). It's a bid colder of course, but from what I saw and everything I heard from people who had spent a great deal of time in Nepal, fall is better for the lower peaks.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives