WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jameseroni
Trip Reports (11)

Re: WTF?!? More fun banter about Everest

Post by jameseroni »

Let's not forget these people sign a waiver and should be extremely aware of the risk they're taking on.

If you choose to go solo Everest tomorrow no matter what the reason or your experience, it's none of my business. Your wife's business? Yes. Your families? Yes. Any time your sphere of risk encompasses and directly affects other people, the decision making is not yours alone.

Anyway, we can't regulate everything... Not to mention, The United States of Police has no authority in the Himalaya. The outfits running these expeditions can do as they please, as long as the harboring country is all for collecting the tax money.

Is it stupid? Yes. Is it irresponsible and the trashing of a great iconic peak? Yes.

Can we do much about it? No.

I think your best bet is through humble education of anyone who holds the "peak bagging" mentality and has little to no experience, trusting their guide or sherpa to fill their Halloween basket with an Everest summit.
Sgt_Wilky
14ers: 17 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Sgt_Wilky »

kushrocks wrote:Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb.
Too many idiots with too much money trying to buy there way to the top of the world. This shouldn't be compared to the 96 disaster. That year people got caught in a really bad storm but this year people are climbing in normal summit conditions and the reason people are dying is because there are too many people with too little inexperience. So sad. What a disgrace to such an amazing mountain.
The mountain will execute the ignorant, arrogant, and the disrespectful.
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Not meaning to steer the conversation another direction, but, does anyone here know the Jon Kedrowski that has been the guy giving the interviews about what is happening there? It says in a couple of articles I have read that he is from CO.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

In addition to Jon Kedrowski (currently on Everest), our friend Alan Arnette also provided some insight on the recent Everest news.

http://kdvr.com/2012/05/21/colorado-cli ... thers-die/
From Fox 31 News, Denver
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

i have a good friend guiding up there with IMG, they are shooting for a May 26th summit with a short weather window...hopefully they've dodged most of the chaos from the last weather window.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sgt_Wilky
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Sgt_Wilky »

live4pc wrote:
Sgt_Wilky wrote:
kushrocks wrote:Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb.
Too many idiots with too much money trying to buy there way to the top of the world. This shouldn't be compared to the 96 disaster. That year people got caught in a really bad storm but this year people are climbing in normal summit conditions and the reason people are dying is because there are too many people with too little inexperience. So sad. What a disgrace to such an amazing mountain.
The mountain will execute the ignorant, arrogant, and the disrespectful.
You aren't one those people who talk to mountians... are you? :wink:
Yes, yes I do, and they talk to me! 8-[

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I notice a parallel between climbing Mount Everest and the space shuttle. Both are significant endeavors and have had about a 2% mortality rate. That high a rate would be outrageous for general outdoors recreation or public transportation, but an OK risk for informed explorers.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

peter303 wrote:I notice a parallel between climbing Mount Everest and the space shuttle. Both are significant endeavors and have had about a 2% mortality rate. That high a rate would be outrageous for general outdoors recreation or public transportation, but an OK risk for informed explorers.
the scary thing is that 2% is usually indiscriminate of any skill level or experience. Mistakes happen, storms hit and up there the margin for error is very slim.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

"Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb. "

My favorite was the guy who wanted to take his iron bicycle with him to the summit. they only let they the bike go as far as Namche.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Sgt_Wilky
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Sgt_Wilky »

davebks wrote:"Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb. "

My favorite was the guy who wanted to take his iron bicycle with him to the summit. they only let they the bike go as far as Namche.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Sounds like he was suffering from hypoxia before he even got on the plane to Nepal.

ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

davebks wrote:"Yea the crowds are insane but what really gets me is there are "People who have never climbed before" attempting Mt. Everest as there first climb. "

seems like Everest tends to attract the type of people that feel like they have something to prove to the world...biker guy, blind guy, rich newbs. That is all fine as long as they aren't putting their guides/sherpas in danger since their livelihood depends on that business.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

did you all read Ueli's comments about his climb this year? I really liked what he had to say. In some ways it's a bit elitist but I get it.
He is an amazing climber.there aren't many like him out there huh?

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/Fin ... d=32740214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a few minutes. Its pretty interesting.