3-4 day backpacking recomendation - west CO/east UT

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

3-4 day backpacking recomendation - west CO/east UT

Post by Dave B »

I'm looking for recommendations on a 3-4 day (30-40 mile) backpacking trip in western CO or eastern UT for next week. I'd originally planned to do the Big/Little Dominquez loop, but after some research the entrance to Little D sounds a little spicier than I want for a solo trip.

I'd prefer to not drive any further than the Swell, nothing too technical, would like to avoid permits if possible, and easy-ish water access... but acknowledge all of those are likely not possible together.

Thanks!
Make wilderness less accessible.
Pika
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3-4 day backpacking recomendation - west CO/east UT

Post by Pika »

If you end up postponing the Dominguez loop and reschedule it for late April or May and wants some company, I would love to tag along. I have been planning to do this loop for years - apparently I need someone to motivate me and keep me accountable :-D
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I don't think it's as long as you're looking, but HCW down Fall Creek trail from Tigiwon to Missouri Lakes trail would be gorgeous. I've done bits and pieces of all of it but never as a straight line. And you could do side trips all over that area.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dave B wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 am I'm looking for recommendations on a 3-4 day (30-40 mile) backpacking trip in western CO or eastern UT for next week. I'd originally planned to do the Big/Little Dominquez loop, but after some research the entrance to Little D sounds a little spicier than I want for a solo trip.
Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean by too spicy as there is an old road and a trail into Little Dominguez from the plateau. Those two routes aren't hard at all. Maybe you're looking at a different route?

Anyway, the Swell has lots of good backpacking trips. One suggestion would be a loop using Spring Canyon, Nates Canyon, and Cottonwood Wash. Along the way ate lots of good canyons with arches and pinnacles and all three canyons have good springs and water. They are missing the slots and narrow canyons, but wide canyons can be more pleasant this time of year anyway.

The Book Cliffs have lots of backpacking routes, but the scenery isn't quite as good as the Swell. On the other hand it is probably the best place in the world to see petroglyphs. One good loop is to start at the Price River, go up on the Beckwith Plateau to the head of Short Canyon, down Short Canyon, up the Green River, and then up the Price River. Short Canyon is rugged and the Price River crossings will be cold, but my son and I did it last year in late November. Our trip was 52 miles and took four days. Except for Short Canyon and the side trip to Mt Elliot, it wasn't that rugged. Along the way we saw hundreds of petroglyph panels, an old abandoned ranch, and old homestead, and some great views from Mt Elliot and the Beckwith Plateau. The spring near the head of Short Canyon is great too.

In the Colorado side of the Book Cliffs, Main Canyon has some good loops. I have done the Main/Cottonwood/Spring Canyon loop twice and it took two days each, but you can go a lot farther up Main Canyon and make it a longer trip. Just don't do the route during or after rain/snow as it will be very muddy.

The Moab area isn't any farther than the Swell and has a lot of good backpacking trips. Off the beaten track, but still really scenic is Thompson, Burro, and Cottonwood Canyons. You could easily spend 4 days in there. There are a lot of waterfalls, pools, narrow canyons, and good scenery in there. Routes in are limited though, so if you choose this one PM me for some of the routes in.

South of Grand Junction the McInnis Canyons have lots of good backpacking. Mee Canyon typically takes two days to the river and back, but there are side trips and lots to see so you can easily make it three days or even more. This is the most spectacular canyon in the area. It has big alcoves and incredible rock towers as well as running water throughout much of its length.

Knowles Canyon is a great three day (or more) trip to the river and back. It has some really good Dinosaur tracks too, some of the best I have seen. Once you reach the bottom of the canyon there is a mile or so of tedious brush, but once you get through that the rest of the route is very enjoyable. Some people make a loop hike of Knowles and Mee Canyon, but the route between the two and along the Colorado River isn't fun, so I'd suggest hiking them separately.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Scott P wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:53 am I'm not sure what you mean by too spicy as there is an old road and a trail into Little Dominguez from the plateau. Those two routes aren't hard at all. Maybe you're looking at a different route?
Thanks for all the suggestions, Scott! My trepidation about the Dominquez loop is based off of the comments on the AllTrails route info which make it seem like you have to scramble down loose scree and through slot canyons to access Little D from the plateau. It seems AllTrails contributors can be a bit dramatic at times tho so... <shrug> If there's an easier way to link the two trails, or I'm reading too much into the comments, I'm all ears!
Pika wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:14 am If you end up postponing the Dominguez loop and reschedule it for late April or May and wants some company, I would love to tag along.
Thanks! I'll keep you in mind if this ends up postponed.
Barnold41 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:31 am I don't think it's as long as you're looking, but HCW down Fall Creek trail from Tigiwon to Missouri Lakes trail would be gorgeous. I've done bits and pieces of all of it but never as a straight line. And you could do side trips all over that area.
Thanks for the suggestion, any idea how much snow is in that area now? I was thinking more desert-ish, but am open to subalpine rambles if I'll not be breaking trail through snow.
randallson
14ers: 50  2  16 
13ers: 90 2 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randallson »

Dave B wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:50 am
Thanks for all the suggestions, Scott! My trepidation about the Dominquez loop is based off of the comments on the AllTrails route info which make it seem like you have to scramble down loose scree and through slot canyons to access Little D from the plateau. It seems AllTrails contributors can be a bit dramatic at times tho so... <shrug> If there's an easier way to link the two trails, or I'm reading too much into the comments, I'm all ears!
I did the Dominquez loop as a solo backpacking trip in May 2019. I agree with Scott that it wasn't hard at all. I would highly recommend this loop!

I took a bit different route down into Little D near No Mans Mesa. Instead of dropping into the slot on the South side of No Mans Mesa that AllTrails suggests, I descended a sandy ridge into Middle Canyon on the west side of No Mans Mesa. It was somewhat steep and loose but by no means overly difficult. There was even a faint trail down it.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Dave B wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:50 am Thanks for the suggestion, any idea how much snow is in that area now? I was thinking more desert-ish, but am open to subalpine rambles if I'll not be breaking trail through snow.
Apologies, the one I mentioned would probably have a decent amount of snow at the moment and would be better saved for summer. I was randomly thinking about that area and not taking into consideration that you might be going in the near future.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dave B wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:50 amThanks for all the suggestions, Scott! My trepidation about the Dominquez loop is based off of the comments on the AllTrails route info which make it seem like you have to scramble down loose scree and through slot canyons to access Little D from the plateau. It seems AllTrails contributors can be a bit dramatic at times tho so... <shrug> If there's an easier way to link the two trails, or I'm reading too much into the comments, I'm all ears!
That's definitely not the route I have taken and it looks like that route misses most of Little Dominguez. The cattle trail/old road in is marked on the topo maps. I don't remember exactly where the other route we took into Little Dominguez is, since that was 20.5 years ago, but I could probably find it on Google Earth. Either way both routes I have used are easy and an old trail and an old road.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Thanks for the thoughts and input everyone! I think I'll stick with the Dominguez canyons trip.