Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by sigepnader »

shays_days wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 pm Lol everyone starts somewhere and it’s usually a disaster! My first ever hike to a summit was Mt. Monadnock on the East Coast when I was 21 - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new- ... oss-trails. 4 miles and 2k elevation and I almost puked. I hated it. Five years later I’ve done many of my dream climbs here in the Colorado Rockies! Keep at it.
Monadnock

That’s such a beautiful mountain. Wonderful hike.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

sigepnader wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:27 pm
shays_days wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 pm Lol everyone starts somewhere and it’s usually a disaster! My first ever hike to a summit was Mt. Monadnock on the East Coast when I was 21 - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new- ... oss-trails. 4 miles and 2k elevation and I almost puked. I hated it. Five years later I’ve done many of my dream climbs here in the Colorado Rockies! Keep at it.
Monadnock

That’s such a beautiful mountain. Wonderful hike.
My very first hike as well! I think I may have been 5 years old.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summit Stomper »

As some have said: many great hikes/climbs in the Anchorage/Matanuska Valley (nearby) to climb that are Class 1 and 2 climbs. Many harder ones also.

Flattop, Ptarmagin, Omally, Bird Ridge, Lazy Mountain, Peak 1,2, and 3, Up most the way to Pioneer Peak. The Butte in the Matanuska Valley. Many many to choose from. Talk to people at REI in Anchorage.

I lived there for 14 years and got many in. Not technical climbs, just climbing/hiking.
Teeth to the wind!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ashportko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 am I’m super thankful to my guide Perry who posted the photo and the post! Mt. Elbert was definitely tough and beyond worth it for me, given I’m a relatively ignorant Floridian. Yet, I have learnt tons of info about mountains including AK from Perry. Actually, hikers are super duper nice and supportive and encouraging once in the mountains; just jerks on this web. But I love it. Glad I have made a few of you laugh. :) more to come!!! :-D
Good job ashportko! Your first 14er is an accomplishment. If you are interested in snow climbs especially at higher altitude, I'd suggest either going with a few people with demonstrated experience in snow that you trust or taking an intro to mountaineering 101 type class or snow travel school with a Guide service to get some basic skills before you venture out into a mountain in snow.

Happy trails
ashportko
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashportko »

Thank you thank you thank you all so much for all the in-depth info and advice! Super appreciate it and will take into consideration for sure.
ashportko
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashportko »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
Or I can pay you for being my guide with my presence alone :p jk; thank you!! :-D
austinpavlas
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by austinpavlas »

As many others have mentioned, Alaska is a different beast.

In the Chugach Front Range (mountains right above Anchorage) there are only 12 peaks over 5000, but they are all a ton of fun. Based on your experience I would definitely recommend O'malley or Ptarmigan Peak, but beware that there is already Termination Dust on the entire range. Flattop is the classic Anchorage hike and if you have time is a fun short hike. My favorite peaks were always the Suicides, but these are class 3/4 depending on the route.
ashportko
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashportko »

austinpavlas wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 pm As many others have mentioned, Alaska is a different beast.

In the Chugach Front Range (mountains right above Anchorage) there are only 12 peaks over 5000, but they are all a ton of fun. Based on your experience I would definitely recommend O'malley or Ptarmigan Peak, but beware that there is already Termination Dust on the entire range. Flattop is the classic Anchorage hike and if you have time is a fun short hike. My favorite peaks were always the Suicides, but these are class 3/4 depending on the route.
Suicides do look very appealing but as I’m here visiting my bro with his kiddos, Flattop might be the best case scenario for us. Thanks bunch!!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ashportko wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm
CaptCO wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
Or I can pay you for being my guide with my presence alone :p jk; thank you!! :-D
You should take up CaptCO on his offer. I heard getting rescued by SAR can be fun

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ashportko
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashportko »

Trotter wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 am
ashportko wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm
You should take up CaptCO on his offer. I heard getting rescued by SAR can be fun

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
First hand experience?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am Ash, a member on this forum named Graham Gedman took me down an unknown route and we spent the night out .5 mi from my vehicle. Don’t listen to all the has-beens
Personal Accountability:
"being willing to answer … for the outcomes resulting from your choices, behaviors, and actions." When you're personally accountable, you take ownership of situations that you're involved in.
(copied/paste source)
Applies in decision making in the hills.

And nice tip of the hat to your partner that day. Classy. You must have been the sheep following the Shepard??

From yours truly,

A Has-Been
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am Ash, a member on this forum named Graham Gedman took me down an unknown route and we spent the night out .5 mi from my vehicle. Don’t listen to all the has-beens
Above treeline is not .5 mile from your car on Belford/Oxford. s**t happens, but maybe have some humility for your part in it and gratitude to the SAR members who gave up their Thanksgiving weekend to pull you, your dog, and hiking partner out of the mine shaft where you spent the night.

Also, since you have been rescued by SAR maybe don't make fun of people who have been seriously injured and needed rescue. You've done that twice.