Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
sigepnader
Posts: 197
Joined: 10/17/2011
14ers: 17
13ers: 45 1

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by sigepnader » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:27 pm

shays_days wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Lol everyone starts somewhere and it’s usually a disaster! My first ever hike to a summit was Mt. Monadnock on the East Coast when I was 21 - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new- ... oss-trails. 4 miles and 2k elevation and I almost puked. I hated it. Five years later I’ve done many of my dream climbs here in the Colorado Rockies! Keep at it.
Monadnock

That’s such a beautiful mountain. Wonderful hike.
mindfolded
Posts: 49
Joined: 9/15/2017
14ers: 25 2
13ers: 7 2

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by mindfolded » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:11 pm

sigepnader wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:27 pm
shays_days wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Lol everyone starts somewhere and it’s usually a disaster! My first ever hike to a summit was Mt. Monadnock on the East Coast when I was 21 - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new- ... oss-trails. 4 miles and 2k elevation and I almost puked. I hated it. Five years later I’ve done many of my dream climbs here in the Colorado Rockies! Keep at it.
Monadnock

That’s such a beautiful mountain. Wonderful hike.
My very first hike as well! I think I may have been 5 years old.
"I get all the news I need on the weather report."
User avatar
Summit Stomper
Posts: 136
Joined: 11/1/2006
14ers: 39

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Summit Stomper » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 pm

As some have said: many great hikes/climbs in the Anchorage/Matanuska Valley (nearby) to climb that are Class 1 and 2 climbs. Many harder ones also.

Flattop, Ptarmagin, Omally, Bird Ridge, Lazy Mountain, Peak 1,2, and 3, Up most the way to Pioneer Peak. The Butte in the Matanuska Valley. Many many to choose from. Talk to people at REI in Anchorage.

I lived there for 14 years and got many in. Not technical climbs, just climbing/hiking.
Teeth to the wind!
User avatar
nyker
Posts: 2639
Joined: 12/6/2007
14ers: 58
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by nyker » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 am

ashportko wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 am
I’m super thankful to my guide Perry who posted the photo and the post! Mt. Elbert was definitely tough and beyond worth it for me, given I’m a relatively ignorant Floridian. Yet, I have learnt tons of info about mountains including AK from Perry. Actually, hikers are super duper nice and supportive and encouraging once in the mountains; just jerks on this web. But I love it. Glad I have made a few of you laugh. :) more to come!!! :-D
Good job ashportko! Your first 14er is an accomplishment. If you are interested in snow climbs especially at higher altitude, I'd suggest either going with a few people with demonstrated experience in snow that you trust or taking an intro to mountaineering 101 type class or snow travel school with a Guide service to get some basic skills before you venture out into a mountain in snow.

Happy trails
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Thank you thank you thank you all so much for all the in-depth info and advice! Super appreciate it and will take into consideration for sure.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by CaptCO » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
Or I can pay you for being my guide with my presence alone :p jk; thank you!! :-D
User avatar
austinpavlas
Posts: 34
Joined: 1/9/2019
14ers: 50 2
13ers: 11

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by austinpavlas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 pm

As many others have mentioned, Alaska is a different beast.

In the Chugach Front Range (mountains right above Anchorage) there are only 12 peaks over 5000, but they are all a ton of fun. Based on your experience I would definitely recommend O'malley or Ptarmigan Peak, but beware that there is already Termination Dust on the entire range. Flattop is the classic Anchorage hike and if you have time is a fun short hike. My favorite peaks were always the Suicides, but these are class 3/4 depending on the route.
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 am

austinpavlas wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 pm
As many others have mentioned, Alaska is a different beast.

In the Chugach Front Range (mountains right above Anchorage) there are only 12 peaks over 5000, but they are all a ton of fun. Based on your experience I would definitely recommend O'malley or Ptarmigan Peak, but beware that there is already Termination Dust on the entire range. Flattop is the classic Anchorage hike and if you have time is a fun short hike. My favorite peaks were always the Suicides, but these are class 3/4 depending on the route.
Suicides do look very appealing but as I’m here visiting my bro with his kiddos, Flattop might be the best case scenario for us. Thanks bunch!!
User avatar
Trotter
Posts: 1063
Joined: 6/5/2013
14ers: 53 5
13ers: 179 2 12
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Trotter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 am

ashportko wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm
CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
Or I can pay you for being my guide with my presence alone :p jk; thank you!! :-D
You should take up CaptCO on his offer. I heard getting rescued by SAR can be fun

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:52 am

Trotter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 am
ashportko wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:49 pm
CaptCO wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Let me know if you need a guide for your next 14er, you can pay me with a date in Denver :-D
Or I can pay you for being my guide with my presence alone :p jk; thank you!! :-D
You should take up CaptCO on his offer. I heard getting rescued by SAR can be fun

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:
First hand experience?
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by CaptCO » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am

Trotter, I’d bet $1000 I’ll run laps around you on the Nolan’s line 😘

Ash, a member on this forum named Graham Gedman took me down an unknown route and we spent the night out .5 mi from my vehicle. Don’t listen to all the has-beens
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Post Reply