High alpine lake suggestion

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

High alpine lake suggestion

Post by davebks »

So we're planning a trip for fall. Hoping to catch some good fall colors. It's my core crew here in Colorado so we've been out together a lot. all over the state.
I suggested sopris but my buddy wants to go somewhere w fishing and perhaps a peak option. Doesnt need to be a 14er, maybe better if it's not.

any thoughts? Ive been to a lot of the vail area lakes. Lonesome, Missouri, Middle Lake, Paradise, upper homestake, etc.
Just looking for something new. We'll have Thurs-Sunday so plenty of time.
Maybe 5-10 miles total but we're good for whatever.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: High alpine lake suggestion

Post by SkaredShtles »

You almost can't go wrong just picking one. I'd say Flat Tops or Sangres. Or San Juans. Or the Sawatch. Or the Zirkels.

:mrgreen:
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

hahaha.... I know they are all great... but do you have a suggestion for one you really love? looking for something new. We can't go hike them all. :)
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

davebks wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm hahaha.... I know they are all great... but do you have a suggestion for one you really love? looking for something new. We can't go hike them all. :)
I was srs - just pick one. You really can't go wrong.

And places I love I don't broadcast on the internetz...
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Cathedral Lake impressed me last year. It had some big fish in it. Easy trailhead access. You could hike Electric Pass Peak as an easier summit option. And you can't beat the color in that area. Not sure what permits are needed, if any for backpacking.

I was also impressed by Lake Ann. Again, pretty good access. West Apostle and Unnamed 13253 are close by.

Neither of those are off the beaten path though.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

davebks wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm hahaha.... I know they are all great... but do you have a suggestion for one you really love? looking for something new. We can't go hike them all. :)
In the Flat Tops, there are two many lakes to list, but I'd highly recommend the Lost Lakes Loop which passes several lakes and goes over Devils Causeway. In my opinion, it's the best loop in the Flat Tops.

If you have a car shuttle, I'd recommend Buffalo Pass to Slovenia in the Mount Zirkel Wilderness. There are many lakes on either side of the trail which are accessible by way of short spur trails. Fall colors will be nil on the ridge though. They will still be present in the lower valleys.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
hootenatty
14ers: 27 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hootenatty »

Crater Lake in the Indian Peaks wilderness. I'm not a fisherman, but I hear there's greenback cutthroat and brook trout. You can climb Lone Eagle right next door.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

I think I forgot to mention that fall colors would be a plus. thus the timing for the trip.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

In the range that shall not be named - Salmon Lake, Willow Lakes or there are some small lakes just east of Red Buffalo pass. :-# :-$
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev