California 14ers in October/November

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MichaelWG
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

California 14ers in October/November

Post by MichaelWG »

Hey all,

Looks like I'll be in California for work the first week of October and / or November, so I'm hoping to pick your brains on potential 14ers to hit while I'm there. When I was there September of last year I did Langley, Williamson and Tyndall and had a great time, but Fall was starting to creep in and I'm not sure what to expect for conditions deeper into the year in the Sierras. For reference, I climb class 5 and am super comfortable on class 4 scrambles, and have lots of experience doing Colorado 14ers in the Winter and shoulder seasons.

My first instinct was to just hit White Mountain since it's basically a walk-up, but depending how early the snow starts falling, it sounds like they may close off the road and turn that into like a 30+miler. Also I'd have preferred to do the West Ridge anyway but I can't find beta on how snow might affect that approach.

Any other ideas? I haven't ruled out just backpacking in Death Valley or trying to find people to boulder with in Bishop if the conditions are lame. Any tips would be much appreciated!

-Michael