Bighorn National Forest Suggestions?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Bighorn National Forest Suggestions?

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Hi, last minute post but was wondering if people on the forum have some must do hikes in Bighorn National Forest. Going there with the wife this long weekend and looking for moderate hikes to waterfalls or alpine lakes, not really looking to summit peaks. I'm looking at hiking to porcupine falls and the tongue river canyon but open to other ideas. Although Lost twin lakes looks gorgeous, my wife might not be inclined to do it due to the length/gain.

Thanks
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Bighorn National Forest Suggestions?

Post by madbuck »

All I know first-hand is from the Bighorn trail race course, but the Tongue River canyon is quite scenic. It should have nice wildflowers, and you can make it as far or short as you want. There are surely plenty of options, but I would definitely go back and hike it with my wife/family. The Bighorns are a nice place to be. Cheers!
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

We traveled there a decade ago. West Tensleep Trailhead has some great, relatively flat hikes into the mountains. The Lake Helen to Mistymoon Lake stretch is glorious, with great views to Clouds Peak. Lost Twin Lakes also has great lakes and granite monoliths, with hints of Yosemite. Distances are longish for payoff, but the scenery is gorgeous. Have fun.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Thanks all for the suggestions. We called off the trip just before we were headed out as the weather forecast was progressively getting worst for WY. Will definitely keep these suggestions in mind for a sunnier trip.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez