5-day route in Winds in late July?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

5-day route in Winds in late July?

Post by rdp32 »

tl;dr Any suggestions on 5-day routes in the Winds that have will have minimal bugs and snow-free passes in late July, and a consistent variety of scenery?

I have a rare opportunity to do a 5-day solo backpacking trip in late July. I was originally planning on heading to the Weminuche, but the crazy snowpack down there has shifted my attention to the Wind River Range. Yes, I realize that is peak mosquito season and that they will completely destroy me and forever ruin my love for the outdoors, but that's my only chance this year so that's when I'm going.

My only previous trip to the Winds was in the Elkhart/Titcomb area. I was thinking this time I'll probably try a different area. The Cirque of Towers would be nice to see, but a number of other places have also caught my eye (from browsing the Pallister book) such as Bonneville Basin, East Fork/Desolation Valley, Baptiste Lake, Deep Lake, Lizard Head Plateau, New Fork Plateau. I don't need total solitude, although I want to be able to easily find campsites. I'd really love to do some relatively easy off-trail travel but nothing exceeding Class 2+ or so. I tend to care more about consistent and varied scenery than I do about the best scenery. For example, I actually preferred Indian Basin over Titcomb Basin because it had more variety in the views; even though Titcomb is slightly more spectacular, I felt like the views walking down Titcomb basin were basically the same most of the way in, whereas the trail in Indian Basin would wind around and have more varied scenery.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Snow conditions: Will most of the passes be pretty much snow-free by late July this year? I haven't planned a specific route yet, but some of the passes I am considering include Texas Pass, Illinois Pass, Jackass Pass, Raid/Bonneville Col ("Pain-in-the-Ass Pass"), Middle Fork Pass, Hailey Pass, and Macon Lake Pass (obviously not all of these). If any of these will likely still be difficult due to lingering snow, please let me know. I won't have an ice axe or crampons, and would much prefer to leave the microspikes at home if possible.

2. Bugs: Any tips on how to avoid them? Any suggestions on routes and campsites that will have fewer bugs? Campsites up higher away from water would be great, especially if they have a little breeze to help with the mosquitoes, but I also would prefer to not be totally exposed to the full wind. I will plan on wearing long sleeves/pants (soaked in permethrin) and will bring a headnet; any other tips to mitigate the mosquitoes would also be greatly appreciated.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: 5-day route in Winds in late July?

Post by Scott P »

that have will have minimal bugs and snow-free passes in late July
I can't think of any that would fit that criteria.
2. Bugs: Any tips on how to avoid them?
If you want to avoid bugs, go in late August to mid-September. July always has mosquitoes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Winds have same extra abundance of snow this year as Colorado.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/da ... update.pdf
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Scott---As I said in the post, this is unfortunately the only time when I can do a trip like this this year. I realize that Aug/Sep are better (I did my other trip to the Winds over Labor Day), but it's rare for me to be able to get out for this much time at all, so I'd like to go if I can. And when I say "minimal" bugs, I mean minimal compared to the rest of the range. I realize they will probably be horrendous anywhere up there; I am just looking for "slightly less horrendous".

Peter--Thanks for the link. I don’t know Wyoming very well—would the Southern Winds be roughly the area marked 152% on that map? That's disheartening to hear that it's extra snowy up there as well. However, it looks like it's in the hundreds (percent of normal) rather than the thousands (like SW CO), so hopefully it's a couple of weeks ahead of schedule compared to the San Juans?

Also, if anyone else has any suggestions on where to go in late July that won't have snow/ice or overflowed streams, please let me know. I am just looking for somewhere that doesn't require a permit and where you can see the best scenery possible in 5.5 days (including driving) from Denver. If there are any pockets of amazing mountains that would be a better choice, please chime in!
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

rdp32 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am if anyone else has any suggestions on where to go in late July that won't have snow/ice or overflowed streams, please let me know. I am just looking for somewhere that doesn't require a permit and where you can see the best scenery possible in 5.5 days (including driving) from Denver. If there are any pockets of amazing mountains that would be a better choice, please chime in!
i don't think it's possible to plan for that yet. we had record snowfall and snowpack conditions in colorado this winter and spring: between the runoff/flooding/avalanche debris, you might need to wait another 3 or 4 weeks for some concrete answers. "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

stephakett---thanks, and yeah, I would normally wait several weeks to ask these questions, but my circumstances are a little unusual in that I will be doing a long road trip with my family for the several weeks before the trip (and most of that time I will be out of reception), so I will have almost no ability to plan or check conditions after the 4th of July basically. Hence I at least would like to narrow down a few options for Plan A and Plan B, so that I can more quickly check the conditions at the last minute.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Here’s a trip of mine from last year. Might suit your desires we took it slow and enjoyed ourselves. Could easily be done in less time but it’s an experience I’ll cherish forever.

http://searchinglesstraveledpaths.blogs ... e.html?m=1
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

rdp32 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am Scott---As I said in the post, this is unfortunately the only time when I can do a trip like this this year. I realize that Aug/Sep are better (I did my other trip to the Winds over Labor Day), but it's rare for me to be able to get out for this much time at all, so I'd like to go if I can. And when I say "minimal" bugs, I mean minimal compared to the rest of the range. I realize they will probably be horrendous anywhere up there; I am just looking for "slightly less horrendous".
The high route from Dickenson Park that goes near Cathedral Peak (I can't look at or link a map now-I'm on a plane with minimal internet service) should have fewer mosquitoes than about any other route since it stays windy. It will have snow and you are above the timberline for a long way, but it's a good route. Just be prepared for snow (it shouldn't be any more hinderance than some wet feet and postholing).

Now days you have to get a permit to drive across the reservation though. I don't know how much it is and I haven't been to that area for many years.

That route has the best chance of avoiding a lot of the mosquitoes. As for avoiding the snow, there will be snow at high elevations (though how much remains to be seen) so you'll just have to plan on that.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the suggestions Scott and JTOlson. I'll keep both of those in mind and figure out my exact route as the time gets closer and we have a better feel for the current conditions.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

So, if you happen to make it into Titcomb Basin, please provide some feedback on snow conditions. Thanks.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

youngk2844 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 pmSo, if you happen to make it into Titcomb Basin, please provide some feedback on snow conditions. Thanks.
Caltopo recently added an overlay feature that shows current snow conditions based on high-resolution satellite imaging, updated weekly. Have a look at https://caltopo.com/m/6HLG and select "Weekly High-Res" as the base layer. If you select "False Color Green" that helps distinguish snow from clouds. As of July 12 it looks like the Indian Pass trail was mostly snow-free until the Titcomb Basin trail, and the Titcomb Basin trail was patchy snow until lower Titcomb Lake. The most recent update (July 17) was somewhat obscured by cloud, but it seems like a fair amount has melted since July 12.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Martin, thanks for the excellent info!