Humphrey's Peak Az

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Humphrey's Peak Az

Post by Ptglhs »

I did it Saturday, 6 July this year. 630 start and was on the summit about 915. The were a lot of people on the descent. It was a reminder of why one shouldn't hike popular mountains on weekends in summer. No snow on the trail itself but some on the north facing slopes above 11k.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'd be interested in any season/conditions and welcome the snow (I moved from CO Springs and they had a couple storms already ... I miss it!) although it sounds like there are some logistical challenges when Snowbowl is open. Although, I really want to avoid the summer crowds—when does the busy season start?

Is there only one route up Humphreys?

Have any of you summited Agassiz? I see winter offers the only legal window of opportunity.

Yes, I'd be glad to meet up to hike Humphreys, or any other adventure (new post coming for other AZ ideas whenever I get time).
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Bob Kocher wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm Thanks for everyone's input. I'd be interested in any season/conditions and welcome the snow (I moved from CO Springs and they had a couple storms already ... I miss it!) although it sounds like there are some logistical challenges when Snowbowl is open. Although, I really want to avoid the summer crowds—when does the busy season start?

Have any of you summited Agassiz? I see winter offers the only legal window of opportunity.

Yes, I'd be glad to meet up to hike Humphreys, or any other adventure (new post coming for other AZ ideas whenever I get time).
There is an alternate route from the opposite side of the mountain. Much more distance and elevation. Don't know much about it yet other than it meets up with the std. route at the ridge line, but would like to try it as I've done the std. route 2x and the solitude would be welcome.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Climbed Humphrey's Pk mid December 2018. We started from the lower end of the snow bowl. Started before the ski area opened, and came back down near closing. We didn't have any trouble parking where we did. We fortunately had a great weather window. It was windy/cold on the summit, but nothing like some days.
I wore snowshoes. The trail was easy to follow, fairly packed down.
You could go sooner than summer, if you get a decent weather window.
It's a neat mountain, huge panoramic views from the summit.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Bob Kocher wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm Thanks for everyone's input. I'd be interested in any season/conditions and welcome the snow (I moved from CO Springs and they had a couple storms already ... I miss it!) although it sounds like there are some logistical challenges when Snowbowl is open. Although, I really want to avoid the summer crowds—when does the busy season start?

From recollection I think Agassiz can only legally be climbed once above treeline is under snow (to protect fragile alpine vegetation higher up), though I suppose that can be outside of calendar winter, conversely if there is no snow in January it's probably still off limits.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

For access during the winter to Humphrey's from Snowbowl, you used to need a backcountry pass from the USFS, but I believe the have done away with that pass starting this 19/20 season. The pass was essentially a way for them to verbally check if you know that avalanches are possible.

I would double check here for up to date information: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino ... eprd479744

There is also another route from the Inner Basin. However, I think the road up to inner basin may be closed near the beginning of winter. Also note that the inner basin route can be extremely crowded during peak aspen color season (September). There is very limited parking (fills by 8 or so, and rangers keep you from driving up). Everyone from Phoenix who wants to see an aspen tree will be there during the fall colors. Otherwise, the inner basin is a really nice alternative.

If you have already done Humphrey's several times, I recommend checking out Kendrick Peak. It's a lot less crowded, has multiple routes and tops out over 10k.
zinj
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

Did it a couple of years ago in May (I think) - above treeline was fine but the shaded, west-facing sub-treeline section was solid, boot-trampled ice when I hiked it early in the day. Not the good kind of ice with ridges and protrusions -- it was bald and slick.

Did not expect that in AZ and did not have any traction or even poles with me that day.
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

Bob Kocher wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm Is there only one route up Humphreys?
There are a couple other options, both much longer. The Weatherford Trail comes up from the South. And there's an approach from the Inner Basin. I hiked in the Inner Basin the day after doing the standard route in mid-June several years back, and greatly enjoyed it. I only went as far as Doyle Saddle that day, which was 10.5mi, 2900ft gain, but very scenic and enjoyable. There's a really nice stand of aspens down low on that route that would probably be amazing in fall foliage. (edit: it seems I missed The Android's post confirming this).

I only saw a couple people each day, I think it was a Thurs summit, Fri hang out in the basin, in mid-June. 100F on the Tonto that visit, otherwise I was going to visit the canyon one of those 2 days. Much nicer on Humphreys.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I did the standard route on a Friday in late September a couple years ago and it wasn't too crowded, just started earlier and it was just me and a couple local girls on the summit, although it was pretty socked in most of the time, I saw more people on the descent but not too bad, plenty of parking (and good dispersed camping just down the road, plenty of spots). It looked like they were starting snowmaking then or some preparation for it.

I saw the other access trail mentioned that comes up the other side to the saddle with Agassiz (there's a sign at the saddle posting a $500 fine for climbing it, and no place to hide as the ridge is in plain view of the standard route and ski resort below, and the other side of the ridge is in view of the other trail). Seems simple enough just to build a half mile trail up it, or do a moonlight hike (I didn't notice any overnight parking restriction).
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

sunny1 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 pm Climbed Humphrey's Pk mid December 2018. We started from the lower end of the snow bowl. Started before the ski area opened, and came back down near closing. We didn't have any trouble parking where we did. We fortunately had a great weather window. It was windy/cold on the summit, but nothing like some days.
I wore snowshoes. The trail was easy to follow, fairly packed down.
You could go sooner than summer, if you get a decent weather window.
It's a neat mountain, huge panoramic views from the summit.
+1 for Humphreys in December, if conditions permit. The trail was packed down below tree line, and above, it was straightforward enough to figure out. With snow up top, it is legal to go for Agassiz (as I understand it). We were on snow car to summit to car. Very few people on the route. Wind forecast was mostly mild, but up on the ridge it was stiff--contrary to the forecast. Gloves, goggles, and layers recommended.

There was a permit system in place, but it was mostly to just check that you knew what you were doing and, I think, to track cars at the ski lot. The rangers are very pleasant and informative. Here's a link to the ski-area webcams, which show current conditions:
https://www.snowbowl.ski/the-mountain/webcams/

Plenty of reports on this site that express multiple route options. I would not endorse the TR that discusses going up under the chair lifts.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

We just climbed Humphreys Peak this past weekend. Was a great day on a great mountain! Felt longer than the 9.8~10mi round trip distance that's usually discussed. Another hiker with a gps that morning measured it as 5.7 miles one way, perhaps the difference is where it is measured from; from the parking lot or the TH register after the ski field crossing? Anyone know?

Conditions were great. See pics attached. Scattered snow here and there but didn't need traction. Lot of trees down in the forest, a couple logs obscured the trail, but generally easy to follow.

Cold morning, said 18*F in the car at the trailhead, but quickly warmed up once hiking. It was very windy higher up.

Note that Agassiz had some snow on it higher up due to different exposure, but don't think it was enough to allow a "legal" climb yet. I'll have to go back in the snow to climb Agassiz.

The Snowbowl snowmakers were on all day making snow and lower down it was pretty white though didn't appeared open yet.
Attachments
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4353_xs.jpg
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4353_xs.jpg (285.24 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4251_xs.jpg
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4251_xs.jpg (288.99 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Humphreys_Agassiz _DSC_4384_xs.jpg
Humphreys_Agassiz _DSC_4384_xs.jpg (306.23 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Last edited by nyker on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Despite some climbers saying there was no marker, there IS a USGS benchmark up there. See pic.
Attachments
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4291_xs.jpg
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4291_xs.jpg (281.35 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4266_xs.jpg
Humphreys_RC_DSC_4266_xs.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 3233 times