Wind River Range backpacking partner in August?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TDK
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Wind River Range backpacking partner in August?

Post by TDK »

I'm hoping to do a week-long backpacking trip in the Wind River Range in August. I can go any time in August. I don't do category 4 climbing or glaciers. I'd like to do Nancy Pallister's Route #40, Tourist and Wells Creeks, in the northwest part of the range, under Gannett Peak. Route #46, Northern Winds Trans-Divide North, looks awesome but ten days may be too much. My goal is to shoot pictures of the high massif around Gannett Peak. I'm open to other routes. Last year we summited Downs Mountain (13,350') for the eclipse, in a five-day hike from Torrey Creek to Dinwoody Creek and Downs Fork and exiting via Bomber Lake.
He Who Runs with the Breaking Wind
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wind River Range backpacking partner in August?

Post by Above_Treeline »

Who knows if id be abke to go, but that sounds awesome. Wow.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Porkrind
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Porkrind »

I did a week in the Wind River range in 2009 and would love to go back.
Spectacular wilderness!!
Perhaps in a few years when I retire.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Almost 20 years ago we tried to get to Gannett from Wells Creek because of fires in the Elk Heart Park area. We found lots of downed trees and because of early season flow on the creek we were unable to pass through the canyon. There was a easy 5th class slab that looked like it would have bypassed the choke point but lacking sticky shoes we decided to backtrack and just do some camping. Took a couple of other trips before we had good conditions and finally climbed Gannett and many other trips to the Winds over the past 25 years.

I believe there is an old trip report (Bakwin and Burrell?) in which they describe a similar blockage and slab that they encountered but they ascended the slabby area. I haven't been up Tourist but from trip reports (Krupicka) I would believe it's a better approach than Wells creek. I've done a lot of off trail hiking in the Winds but I would never choose to go back up Wells creek with a full pack.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
TDK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TDK »

Which is the category 2 walk-up closest to Gannett Peak? That would be good for pictures. We liked Downs Mountain last year but I don't want to do anything harder, especially if I'm solo hiking.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

That would likely be Bonnie Pass between Titcomb basin and Gannett. Typically approach is from Elkheart Park just outside of Pinedale, past Seneca lake, Island lake and the turnoff to Indian Basin. Titcomb basin is beautiful but you will have some company on most of the route since it's popular with climbers and fishing people. There are some nice off trail hikes in that area if you want to get away from people and see some less traveled sections of the Winds. Also a 3rd class route up Fremont from the Indian Basin area, upper area of Indian Basin ana Pass are very nice and the route over to Alpine Lakes which is some very little traveled area of the Winds but you should have good back country navigations skills and expect some rough terrain.

Gannett from Bonnie Pass
https://flic.kr/p/9byXsG
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
TDK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TDK »

Sunbeam Peak is a category 2 walk-up a mile or two southeast of Gannett. Last night I read about your route in Pallister's book, and it looks good. Thanks!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

HuskyRunner wrote:That would likely be Bonnie Pass between Titcomb basin and Gannett.
It's Bonney Pass. After Orrin and Lorraine Bonney, who wrote some of the first guidebooks for the Wind Rivers.

http://publications.americanalpineclub. ... 8302/print
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"