Chaco Canyon vs. Petrified Forest (Southwest Road Trip)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Silence_Dogood
Trip Reports (0)

Chaco Canyon vs. Petrified Forest (Southwest Road Trip)

Post by Silence_Dogood »

Found out I'll be heading to Tucson for a work conference this week, and thought I'd make a few stops along the way. Right now I can spend 1-1.5 days in either Chaco Canyon NHP or Petrified Forest NP. Anyone have an opinion on which park I should explore? I'd rather spend a proper amount of time at one park instead of trying to cram both in as half-day trips (although I could do a "drive through" of Petrified Forest on my way south). I plan on camping and spending a full day at White Sands National Monument on the return trip. Thoughts?

Proposed Itinerary
Wednesday: Depart Denver & drive to Chaco Canyon/Petrified Forest
Thursday: Explore Chaco Canyon/Petrified Forest
Friday: Drive to Tucson
Saturday-Tuesday: Work. Sneak in a hike to Chiricahua National Monument if possible
Wednesday: Drive to White Sands
Thursday: Explore White Sands
Friday: Drive to Denver; explore Salinas Missions along the way
robbiemanta
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Chaco Canyon vs. Petrified Forest (Southwest Road Trip)

Post by robbiemanta »

I would recommend Chaco Canyon for the simple reason that the moon will be very small and Chaco Canyon is one of the best star watching locations in America. Add this to the relation of the architecture of the Pueblos and the stars, how all of the buildings align with the equinoxes and is centered around the North Star, totally worth it. The Park Rangers there really know what they’re talking about, so definitely hit them up for information. There’s a lot of good exploring to do, so I would 100% recommend it. Note of caution, however, I have not been to petrified forest and cannot form an opinion on which is better, all I can say is that Chaco canyon is incredible. If you’re interested in Native American culture, check it out for sure.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

If you have a whole day, definitely Chaco. Also, check out the Organs on your way to White Sands. They can be windy, but if they're not, this is the time to visit. Also, eat at Nellie's in Las Cruces.
TravelFar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TravelFar »

While I don't have much advice on your itinerary, I do have a photo of White Sands to add. It really is sofa king cool (if it's not too windy)
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_ab.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ab.jpeg (701.85 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Last edited by TravelFar on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Travel Far
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I have not been to Chaco Canyon, but I have been to Petrified Forest and I was not that impressed by it. It's the kind of park you explore quickly (an hour or two) and then move on to something else.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Chaco Canyon has more hiking trails and more to do for sure.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Tory Wells wrote:I have not been to Chaco Canyon, but I have been to Petrified Forest and I was not that impressed by it. It's the kind of park you explore quickly (an hour or two) and then move on to something else.
I have a friend who felt the same way, but my wife and I both enjoyed it. We had some drama, rangers nabbed someone trying to steal some specimens. Rangers are always on the lookout with high power scopes. I agree that it's not a major destination, more a stop-by if you're in the area kind of place. But I'd say the same about White Sands. I definitely recommend Chaco over the Petrified Forest. But, I'd also recommend Petrified Forest over White Sands. Can't give any objective reasons, except maybe more variety in petrified logs than in miles of sand. My recommendation might vary with the weather outlook in each location.

Chiricahua Monument also has some cool hiking. First place I ever saw a coatimundi in the wild. If like others on this site, your day is not complete without a couple thousand feet of vertical, you can do Chiricahua Peak (5139 of prominence, so an "ultra"), though I don't think it is in the monument.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Chaco canyon sounds more interesting, but I haven’t been there. I did like all the petrified wood around petrified forest, though. Worth taking a look. Bit of an iconic park.

Chiricahua was cool, stopped for a bit on the way through one time. Like to go back
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Chaco for sure, most impressive. Take the trail up to the rim for an impressive overlook of the site.

Petrified Forest was ok but most of the wood is gone. There’s some left, including the bridge reinforced with concrete, but Blue Mesa there is nice. You can do it as a drive through for sure.

White Sands is pretty neat. It’s talc, fun to barefoot, and they plow it like snow. I got to see a missile test.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Definitely Chaco. Can definitely drive through Petrified Forest with just a few stops. White Sands is great.

If you have time after work while you're in Tucson, there are a lot of short peak hikes on the west side of town. You can probably find GPS tracks on listsofjohn.com.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

cougar wrote:Chaco for sure, most impressive. Take the trail up to the rim for an impressive overlook of the site.

Petrified Forest was ok but most of the wood is gone. There’s some left, including the bridge reinforced with concrete, but Blue Mesa there is nice. You can do it as a drive through for sure.

White Sands is pretty neat. It’s talc, fun to barefoot, and they plow it like snow. I got to see a missile test.
There's a ton wood at Petrified. You have to hike into the Painted Dunes a bit. Even hiking 1/2-3/4 mile from the road is really cool. 99.9% of people don't walk more than 5 minutes from the car.