Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

Post by greenonion »

klimbien wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:22 am
CoHi591 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am Hey OP,
I found highsierratopix somewhat helpful. I haven't browsed the forums, but I posted once or twice asking for opinions/advice on backpacking trips and base camps for harder climbs, etc. Quite a few people responded with great things to say. It actually struck me how the forum was far less dismissive and hostile to a newcomer than....um....some other state's mountaineering/hiking forums. You might check it out for your California fix. Good luck.
just a quick thank you! it has been helpful.
Gracias.
Looks like an interesting and useful resource for the Sierras (highsierratopix), but so glad Bill's site (14ers.com) doesn't have the ads like so many others do.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

At the NOLS headquarters/general store in Lander, WY, you can get used maps from their coursework; if you look through them, oftentimes there are routes penned within for the Winds and more. Great place to get supplies, too.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

oldschool wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 am
The irony of the last few posts (read Eli) is comical. If people don't want info and wanna do it "oldschool", then don't look it up! Problem solved.

+1

Same with 14ers conditions or trip reports. If you don't wanna read em, then don't.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
klimbien
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by klimbien »

Squirrellysquirrel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am At the NOLS headquarters/general store in Lander, WY, you can get used maps from their coursework; if you look through them, oftentimes there are routes penned within for the Winds and more. Great place to get supplies, too.
thanks for the heads up... looking forward using this info.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

klimbien wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 am thanks for the heads up... looking forward using this info.
Yeah, sure thing. The NOLS guides/staff are quite helpful, too... they can help clarify routes, seasonal considerations (floods, etc.), and provide details for technical gear.

Lander Bar and Grill is a place where locals, wildland workers, and rock hoppers hang out... easy place to get intel if you saddle up to the bar and buy someone a drink!
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Wilbur Simmons
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wilbur Simmons »

Thanks fellas! I'll be looking out for Lander Bar and Grill on my next visit.