California 14ers Book

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

California 14ers Book

Post by mtn_nut »

http://drdirtbag.com/2017/01/01/califor ... guidebook/

My friend Sean has decided to publish his guidebook to the California 14ers. For those of you who don't know, he has the speed record for the California 14ers, and has climbed nearly every significant peak in the southern sierras, along with peaks all over the US, Canada, and Mexico. I've had a chance to look over a rough copy of the book to proof it, and its well written with helpful maps if you're shooting for the 14ers in California. He is active on 14ers.com and goes by seano.

I'm not getting any compensation for spreading this, I just figured this book might be popular with the people here. He's self-publishing, so you won't be able to find it in bookstores, and it might not be easily available in the future (like the Roach 13ers guidebook).

Please contact him or comment on his website if you want a copy.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: California 14ers Book

Post by Kent McLemore »

Thanks for the heads up. Looks handy.
-km
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

Thanks, I'm getting closer to heading to California for their fourteeners.
More Colorado than the Natives.
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

A quick update. It looks like he got enough interest for a first edition to be printed. If you want a copy, contact him ASAP. It looks like he will be finalizing the order in two weeks.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

mtn_nut wrote:A quick update. It looks like he got enough interest for a first edition to be printed. If you want a copy, contact him ASAP. It looks like he will be finalizing the order in two weeks.
Thanks for the shout-out, mnt_nut!

To expand: (1) I need to order in batches large enough to be economical, and (2) I don't want to have lots of unsold books sitting around my house. This means that I won't print too many more than are spoken for, and once those extras are gone, it might be awhile before I print another batch.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Thanks for posting this! Sean is indeed a legend. I have read several of his peakbagging reports and his skills/strength/stamina are incredible. I will have to purchase a copy of this book when I start working on CA 14ers. The high quality annotated topo maps with multiple route options will be very useful. I am impressed by the layout! It isn't quite up to Roach quality, but heck what other guide book comes anywhere close. Having the "Coming from Colorado" section was brilliant!

Someone who has completed the Colorado fourteeners should have no trouble with
the first four tiers, except for perhaps having to camp out for Williamson and Tyndall.
However, there is a sharp increase in difficulty between the fourth and fifth tiers.
Many people comfortable scrambling the harder Colorado fourteeners will want to
rope up for some sections on these peaks; most should first gauge their comfort on
one of the Palisades’ fourth class routes, like the traverse from Disappointment to
Middle Palisade (p. 44) or the standard route on its neighbor Norman Clyde (p. 85).
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Sean - can you post a photo of the ToC with routes listed?
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Monster5 wrote:Sean - can you post a photo of the ToC with routes listed?
There's a PDF with this info (sample chapter) in the link Ryan.
seano
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

spiderman wrote:I am impressed by the layout! It isn't quite up to Roach quality, but heck what other guide book comes anywhere close.
I was certainly inspired by Roach's format. I think I made a couple of improvements (e.g. the detailed topos print at actual 1:24,000 scale, so you can use them instead of USGS quads), but yeah, it's hard to match his thoroughness and attention to detail.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

I'm not sure if climbing California's 14ers is in the cards for me, but I'd still like a copy of your book.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
seano
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

CarpeDM wrote:I'm not sure if climbing California's 14ers is in the cards for me, but I'd still like a copy of your book.
Thanks! See here for instructions -- trying to keep track of people on this forum and in PMs would quickly become complicated and error-prone for me. It's also probably outside of this site's purpose.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Just got mine in the mail this afternoon and it looks AWESOME!!!