Mt. Foraker

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Mt. Foraker

Post by Kiefer »

Has anyone on this site either attempted and (or) summited Mt. Foraker? :?:
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Foraker

Post by Rich H »

Hey Kiefer,
I am not sure how often Gerry Roach visits here, but you could PM him... He has climbed Foraker
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

Kiefer,

My friend at work made an attempt on Foraker. He is the guy that gave Chris and I a Denali slideshow before we all left for Alaska last year. He climbed the West Rib too, which I believe you are also interested in. I can get you his contact information if you would like.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

Foraker is on my list. I got a good look at it on a Denali climb. The only issue on the standard Sultana route is a long traverse that seems to have a lot of potential for slides.

G
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Kiefer wrote:Has anyone on this site either attempted and (or) summited Mt. Foraker? :?:
I'm so jealous of your plans.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ascent+descent=fun »

Im probably headed up there this spring to climb the rib or cassin for "research", and we were thinking about doing that on the way out after we are fully acclimatized. Sounds like its doable in one or two days if you are acclimatized/strong. What are your plans?
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

ascent+descent=fun wrote:Im probably headed up there this spring to climb the rib or cassin for "research", and we were thinking about doing that on the way out after we are fully acclimatized. Sounds like its doable in one or two days if you are acclimatized/strong. What are your plans?
I'm jumping in for Kiefer here...
Our plan is to do the West Rib, then hit Foraker on the way out since we will already be on the glacier. We havent' determined dates yet, but it will most likely be sometime soon after May 13th (that's the last day of finals for me). And once another one of our partners knows his spring work schedule we'll finalize dates and get our tickets.

When do you plan on going? And what's your "research" for?
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Sweet! something to do with lactate threshold and VO2 max, and performance at altitude ... might try some less traditional acclimation methods. Maybe something to do with Dex ... who knows, we are working something out to get funding. We will probably go around the same time, maybe we will see you up there. Are you going to do the full rib from the bottom, or the riblette?
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

slynn4_13run wrote:
ascent+descent=fun wrote:Im probably headed up there this spring to climb the rib or cassin for "research", and we were thinking about doing that on the way out after we are fully acclimatized. Sounds like its doable in one or two days if you are acclimatized/strong. What are your plans?
I'm jumping in for Kiefer here...
Our plan is to do the West Rib, then hit Foraker on the way out since we will already be on the glacier. We havent' determined dates yet, but it will most likely be sometime soon after May 13th (that's the last day of finals for me). And once another one of our partners knows his spring work schedule we'll finalize dates and get our tickets.

When do you plan on going? And what's your "research" for?
Where the hell is Denali? What is this mountain you speak of? :?:
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

I believe it is an old old wooden ship.
JohnWilliams
14ers: 10  2  1 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JohnWilliams »

Could you tell me more about your aclimatization plans? I'm curious to hear what you have planned.
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Land, pop a whole bunch of Dexamethasone and send to the top as fast as we can.