Uinta Highline Trail

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trainwreck
Trip Reports (0)

Uinta Highline Trail

Post by trainwreck »

whose done this backpacking trail? ive always been interested in doing this, for those who've done how was it?
"all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"

"Rather than love, than money, than fame; give me truth"
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Uinta Highline Trail

Post by Scott P »

I've seen the entire trail. It goes over 70 miles without crossing a road and it passes through lots of nice scenery along the way. It also passes several hundred fish filled lakes if you like to fish and of course there are plenty of peaks to bag along the way.

The most rugged part of the trail is Deadhorse Pass. This pass often requires an ice axe into August, depending on the previous winter snowpack.

It's a highly recommended trip.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

This is also on my list for this summer, if I can find some people crazy enough to go with me the entire way! :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
trainwreck
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trainwreck »

well seeing that ur in salt lake city, and i am as well; ill definitely be down to do it in the summer

trainwreck
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trainwreck »

i am in the process of planning a trip on the trail right now, and i need to know if the trail is marked by signs, anyone whose done it care to share their knowledge about the trail in general?

Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I have no personal knowledge of this trail, but this TR of the speed record is pretty interesting:
http://www.crockettclan.org/blog/?p=7
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

i am in the process of planning a trip on the trail right now, and i need to know if the trail is marked by signs, anyone whose done it care to share their knowledge about the trail in general?
I haven't done it in several years, but I assume not much has changed. The popular sections (i.e. near the Mirror Lake Highway) and near the other popular lakes and areas have signpost, but in the more remote sections there aren't many signs. Some of the trail is faded through areas above timberline, but is always marked with cairns so navigation isn't much a problem if you have a map.

As mentioned, Deadhorse Pass is the toughest part. It holds snow until late in the year and in some years requires an ice axe until August. Other than Deadhorse Pass, the only difficulties on the trail are some of the river crossings which can be challenging early season (in the 1990's not all of them were bridged and I would assume they still remain that way). Later in the season the river corssings aren't a problem.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JC_Case
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JC_Case »

I did the full length of the Uinta Highline Trail solo last July over the course of 7 days. You can't go wrong. I'm almost done writing a pretty detailed trip report about it on my personal website: http://jacobcase.com/highline_trail_intro.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;