Training resources for the older endurance athlete

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Training resources for the older endurance athlete

Post by LarryM »

What the title says - any ideas? I've read extensively on the topic of training for the endurance athlete generally, but resources for the older athlete seem more sparse.

Context: I'm 61 years old & by any reasonable standard should be happy with what I can do. I'm a trail runner, I just went over 2,000 miles for the year & am approaching 400,000 feet of vertical (actually, including hikes I've exceeded it). I'm still capable of very long days in the mountains & summitting multiple peaks in a day. While my pace is not fast by trail runner standards, I'm not THAT slow - e.g., 1:30 Bierstadt trail head to summit, albeit that was 3 years ago & I've probably lost a step or two since then. My age group Strava times uphill in the high mountains are mostly pretty solid. But it's hard to keep up with my younger friends, and even some of my older friends.

I'd like to be able to maintain / regain some speed & endurance (I missed the cut off at the two ultra races I ran this year: San Juan Solstice I am okay with, as it is a really hard race, but missing the cut off at the final AS at the much easier Devil on the Divide was a bitter pill). I'd also like to do what I do more comfortably, i.e., fewer aches and pains.

Some of what I need to do is obvious, even if I don't do enough of it: stretching, rolling, lose 10 pounds. What else?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Training resources for the older endurance athlete

Post by Dave B »

Strength training. If you're not doing it, start. Maintaining strength is especially important for agining athletes (and non athletes).

A lot of people don't like it, but you can't deny the benefits of a focused and consistent strength training program - increased bone density, increased HGH, increased testosterone, improved posture, reduced injury risk. You'll never ever meet someone who says they wish they were less strong.

And, I'm not taking about body building, just an assortment of compound movements (squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench) combined with a lot of core (not just abs) and unilateral movements to address asymmetries. I spend 45 min in the gym 3x per week, it makes EVERYTHING else feel easier.

https://www.podiumrunner.com/training/s ... -training/

I'm only 41, so take that for what it's worth.
Make wilderness less accessible.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Larry,

I'm far more a cyclist than runner, but in a similar age bracket. Three thoughts:

-Maybe dial back your volume and focus more on quality vs. quantity? There's a tone in your post of "if I can only do more training I'll maintain or get better." I could be wrong on that, but maybe focus on higher quality vs. what I call "junk miles" (fwiw, I'm hardly perfect in that regard, but that's a focus for me in 2022). Couple that with more recovery time, I think that's a universal recommendation for the older athlete. Just an idea. And yeah, for the low hanging fruit (stretching/rolling/weight loss), unfortunately Nike slogan time: Just do it.

-The second is more philosophical but IMO worth pondering: Come to peace with graceful aging. I'm NOT advocating throwing in the towel, just injecting some reality. An example: Cyclists are notoriously competitive, (What do you call two or more cyclists riding together? A race.) I find myself on long rides maybe seeing a cyclist in the distance and it is essential that I catch him/her. Or I get passed and I must tail them in hopes of passing them again. Happened yesterday on an 80 miler. But then I pause and realize they're usually in their 20's/30's and I'd bet a paycheck I've already gone twice or x3 the distance they have. Passing them probably ain't gonna happen. I'm sorta fine just competing with myself, that's the graceful aging bit, but the competitive spark is still there. Childish, but there. Food for thought.

-Finally, maybe shift an event focus to more endurance vs. speed? I know I'm not nearly as fast as I once was, but I can now go for 24 hrs straight if necessary. Rare these days, but definitely possible, I just have way more ability now to suffer at a low grade for a long time than when I was younger.

Good luck,

-Tom
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

^For some reason, I have doubts Tom rides a gravel bike. I once passed another cyclist, but only because they blew a tube.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:31 pm ^For some reason, I have doubts Tom rides a gravel bike. I once passed another cyclist, but only because they blew a tube.
What's a "gravel bike"?!? :lol:
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

TomPierce wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm
Monster5 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:31 pm ^For some reason, I have doubts Tom rides a gravel bike. I once passed another cyclist, but only because they blew a tube.
What's a "gravel bike"?!? :lol:
It's an old school mountain bike with drop bars.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Boy, I can relate! If you haven’t already check out https://uphillathlete.com/ There is some good information on older athletes, training, recovery, etc.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

All great replies but I would something people probably hate and make fun of ... yoga. I used to only lift and run for training but I did P90x and the yoga was amazing to prevent injury and for balance. I would add it if you are not already doing so as we are more prone to injury as we age.